Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type firewall fume seal correct profile making
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2016 :  08:26:34  Show Profile
Following on from earlier interest and feedback in an other forum, I completed an initial trial successfully today as follows.
The section is made up 5 pieces and results in a more accurate profile than the one I made previously, new profile right of the two shown on my car's firewall. One of the sections used previously has been discontinued. I can see the new section will seal the bonnet very nicely, and be quite robust.

Second trial to follow next week with method to make, and pricing indication.

Donald McLeod
PB0759

Edited by - DDMDSN on 19/04/2016 22:27:27

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2016 :  13:49:07  Show Profile
Donald
This is looking very good, great job! I'd like to put my name in if there's still room on your 'wait list' of potential customers...

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  11:05:04  Show Profile
I have made a second sample and most pleased with the result. See following photographs. The new sample is the one on my firewall.
Sample away with an other local PB owner who is very interested, for testing and acceptance.
Following this will post method to make.
Profiles sections are from Paul Beck, and cost of sponge extrusions alone (5 in laminate) based on making 4 at a time per 2m/car is GBP 44.03 FIS NZ to give an idea, plus about 1-1/2 hrs to make each one.
I will email those who have expressed interest already directly.
'It is details like these that make all the difference'
Regards
Donald McLeod
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  12:24:51  Show Profile
I have noticed on a number of P type firewalls that the curvature of the aluminum channel moulding does not match that of the firewall at the top corners. which means that the seal will not sit down fully into the channel at the corners. It is clearly 'original' and is like that presumably becaue the channel cannot be bent to a tighter radius. I did power file the edge of the firewall to reduce the effect which to my eye looked better once the seal was installed but I guess it's a matter of individual preference. Anyone else noticed this?
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  22:41:42  Show Profile
Andrew
Yes you are quite right well spotted. See photos below of my original PB firewall and fit of the the trial fume seal. The seal fits around really nicely. The join line for the raised sections are visible on the corners as shown. I'll seek feedback whether this is OK. My thought was if I make a spare for my car, is to use windscreen sealant mixed with talcum powder to hide the corner join lines, if deemed necessary.
Regards
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  05:42:30  Show Profile
this is finish on seam on corners using windscreen sealant mixed with talcum powder, then dusted with talcum powder when semi dry
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

bertieBOK244

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  14:51:33  Show Profile
Donald,
What a wonderful job, well done could you please add me to your list.
I couldn't help notices on previous page your P type sump key project, could you also add me to your list; keep up the good work. regards Keith

Keith Leaver
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  15:09:22  Show Profile

Hi Donald,

Please put my name on the list !

Cheers , from sunny SA.

Rod.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:08:20  Show Profile
Thanks, Rodney, and Keith
I have put you down for the next batch of 4 P Type fume seals, the first batch is sold. Made to order so can confirm delivery once orders confirmed for a full batch of 4.
Will contact you separately with details.
The sump plug spanner is in final stages of testing, and expect to release a batch of 12 blanks to be cut, next week. This would suit all 'later model' sumps which have the 1/2" square hole in the plug. That is L,K,N and P. Once completed, to be advertised on the 'Traders' Forum.
FYI, there are a number of parts in the 'near to impossible to get' category for P/Ns, and am working on plans for reproductions. Many original spec tools are in this category, with most of the tools on offer, period originals rather than originals as used on our MGs.
My upcoming paper on P/N tool-kits will clarify all this. I am writing this paper in the style of an academic research paper and plan to have it completed by the end of the year.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  17:08:28  Show Profile
Does your list of 'near to impossible to get' category for P/Ns include P-Type gearstick turrets?!!

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  20:38:57  Show Profile
Thanks suggestion Paul
At this stage it includes a repair section for the turret, as I also need one. Does your car need a new one or a repaired one?
My gear lever was popping out on the bottom and getting stuck in second.
Temporarily fixed with a new gear lever from Barry Walker.
Given me an idea though - a post with 'impossible to find parts for P/Ns wish list'
Some of the parts on my list to make as you may have picked up from my various threads and replies are:
P Type fume seals (in production), Late model MMM sump plug spanner (due to start making), PB 30mph warning light (prototyped), MMM dashboard grab handle (prototyped), SF24 Trafficators, SF24 Trafficator Escutcheons (pressed brass), gearchange turret ball socket repair kit, P Type reversing gate
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2016 :  22:23:48  Show Profile
First seal from from 1st batch of P Type firewall fume seal production shown
Note the bridge for the raised section of the plywood on the corners of the original spec firewall
Orders/interest received for 10-11 so far, 1-2 left in 3rd batch of 4
Let me know if interested, this is the last for now in this round.
Each seal hand assembled by me, and include a spec sheet with background and provenance
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2016 :  08:40:38  Show Profile
Hi Donald,

I'd be keen for one,

thanks

Andrew

PA 1294
NA 0279
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2016 :  10:27:49  Show Profile
Thanks Andrew
Good to hear, the third destined for Australia
Got you down for one, planned for mid May production and dispatch
Be in touch with details by separate email.
Originally had down for N Type too, but since understand that these used another type of seal, interested if you know what type or have a photo?
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2016 :  13:24:53  Show Profile
I don't have the original one.The N has a seal on the firewall to the body and a separate square section one to the bonnet. The former is an L shape which covers the edges of the firewall.... and is unobtainable.....The latter is very easy to source.

Andrew

PA 1294
Na 0279

Edited by - Andrew Fock on 20/04/2016 13:27:44
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2016 :  20:27:08  Show Profile
Thanks Andrew
Yes I see the footwell on the N Type is boxed in, so it is only the P Type which uses the seal type I am making, and is the single defense against fumes on this model.
Interested in the L shaped rear section for the N Type too. If you would like me to look at it and you can post a photo of an original or a profile shape, I can see if a lamination might be possible. The method I have developed for the P Type seal effectively welds the foam sections together, so the joins are about as strong as the foam sections themselves. Joins would be hardly visible on an L section.
Nice supercharged N Type in the lower photo by the way. Bet this would really fly and be lovely to drive.
Regards
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000