Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Safety Fast !
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  19:31:12  Show Profile
Oh dear. After 80years the Safety Fast! logo on the magazine has been changed for a " new look".
A big mistake in my opinion. It's part of the heritage. Why change it ?
Grumpy Graham

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  20:20:56  Show Profile
And I bet they don't use letterpress printing anymore either

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  20:27:53  Show Profile
Graham
Just not correct.

Safety Fast became the Club's magazine in April 1959 until July 1968. Safety Fast was in a font completely different from the one just replaced and without the "!"

Safety Fast was re-introduced in January 1969 as a self financed club publication - previously funded by BMC - with yet another different font and no "!"

The font that has just been replaced has only been around since the 1970s but the magazine heading has had different variations of this.

It was the 1980s before the "!" became part of the title heading.

So hardly a 80 year old tradition
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  21:08:32  Show Profile
George I stand corrected. However I do feel that the destinctive logo of the past few years has more style and individuality than this latist bland rendering.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  21:41:49  Show Profile
.....and that flowing style logo was used in MG advertising from 1946 till the late 70's.
So I think it would be good to keep it as it is so recognisable.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  22:18:38  Show Profile
Graham, I think you may be pleased find the flowing script on the front cover of the Register 2015 Yearbook when it is published shortly .....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  22:44:47  Show Profile
Never mind the front, it is what is inside!
Brilliant reports on the wonderful Brands Hatch weekend, espically in the Triple M Newsletter!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  22:50:35  Show Profile
Thanks Dick, I look forward to it and yes it was excellent coverage in S. F .
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  10:39:00  Show Profile
When I opened the latest edition of Safety Fast! I felt now this is different and attractive however on reflection it is the beautifully turned out twin cam MGA and overall colour scheme that was so appealing, I am not sure how this new layout and Safety Fast! font will work with other colour schemes.

The use of a dynamic script font has been in M.G. publications from the early 30s particularly in the strap line Safety Fast! since I believe 1936, I find the static font heading the current magazine disappointing losing the verve M.G. stands for, more akin to a fashion magazine.

I always try to be constructive when it comes to design and would suggest a return at some stage to an updated script to give the magazine energy, depicting the heritage of the mark it is portraying.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  12:39:17  Show Profile
Just wait till they re-title it "MG Live" or some such. Seriously though a club which can introduce a kids page to its magazine and think that a "top Trumps" set is appropriate for a car club probably does not see people like me as it's main marketing "demographic" - going forward.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  13:27:25  Show Profile
I'm beginning to think we need a forum entitled "Hurrumph!". Give the Editor and the Directors a break. What they do, most of them voluntarily, is hard work, believe me. What is the Club supposed to do faced with an ageing membership and the need to maintain a flow of subscription income at an affordable level? We even have our own thread about the next generation but they're unlikely to be impressed by this sort of reaction. If you want them to get interested in MG, and, more particularly, if you want a next generation out there willing to part with a tidy sum for your MMM, the Club has to send out some signals that the membership is not entirely made up of what Clarkson delights in calling "the woolly hat brigade". Some of what happens may not be to everyone's taste but the Club is almost unique in being a single marque organisation that covers such a broad church of interests ranging from the inter-war years right up to the Chinese take-over. There aren't many marques that have survived that long. This is a real challenge for the Board and we know from experience that "Safety Fast!" needs very careful treatment if everyone is to remain happy. It may be that to get new blood into the Club we have to demonstrate equal affection and enthusiasm for a J2 and a hot hatch. Once they're in, we can at least open a dialogue about the virtues of the older models and, who knows, if they see a bunch of Triple-M racers getting their rocks off roaring round Silverstone, (yes, MG Live!)they might start saving up to join in.

Malcolm
M Type

Edited by - Malcolm Eades on 26/05/2016 13:28:32
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  16:25:39  Show Profile
Personally, I rather like the new cover but I'm curious if the colour of the word 'Fast' will vary with the main colour of the photo? It seems an unusual coincidence that it matches the MGA colour scheme so well.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  16:59:14  Show Profile
Where can I get TOP Trumps?...my kids would love that!!

I agree with Malcolm I think the club sees all of us, and our differences, as its Marketing demographic. Tough challenge but this is what I love about MG, its inclusive.

But it won’t always work for everyone and We won’t be back racing at Silverstone for the foreseeable. But our approach is about creating momentum and enthusiasm which is working. We have such wonderful support from the MGCC. I am excited about how many new owners and novice racers are popping up! (Not to mention the ones cancelling retirement!)

Young Harry Painter will be out at Cadwell after completing his exams....now thats a Marketing opportunity!

So can someone post an image of the new badge? I m away at mo!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 26/05/2016 17:01:54
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2016 :  19:10:37  Show Profile
Here here Malcolm & Mark. We are part of the MGCC. Everyone should be encouraged.

JH
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  07:47:01  Show Profile
Mark
Top Trumps is being launched at MG Live - shoul dbe available from the on line shop after MG Live too
George
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  08:37:01  Show Profile
Thanks George...I hear the J2 and K3 have made it in!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000