Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Long woodscrew "Lift the Dot" studs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  17:53:10  Show Profile
I've been trying to find these and so far Woolies tell me they can't get them anymore, while everywhere else I've looked only has ones machined from solid. They just don't look right so has anyone any idea where the "proper thing" is available?

Hopefully,

Dave

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  22:41:12  Show Profile
Dave,

Are you looking for the L_T_Ds with and extra long woodscrew or extra long stud? 5/8" I believe is the longest wood screw part. But admittedly the stud is hard to find in double length. I find ship chandlers and tent makers are a good source of L_T_Ds.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 23/06/2016 22:45:24
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2016 :  23:27:25  Show Profile
Dave,

When researching my Year Book article on hoods I made contact with a chap in the Scovill Corporation in the US who are the originators of the Lift the DOT fastener. I'll send you his details by email and he might be able to tell you who stocks the proper ones on the UK.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 23/06/2016 23:31:15
Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
464 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  08:21:58  Show Profile
Dave,
have a look on this site
http://www.jclarkemarine.com/collections/liftthedots

Horst
PA492
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  12:54:47  Show Profile
Dave
I will need a full set of wood screw Life-the-Dot studs for PA1733, I have a enough of the threaded type. From Simon's suggestion if you find Scovil do not have a UK distributor perhaps it would be worth buying in a box (I note it would be 100). I agree the turned modern version just looks too sharp.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  14:42:08  Show Profile
Segal Motor Trimmings of Salford supply all that is needed for restoration work. Try their website to see what is available.
It is many years since I bought from them but they are an old established firm.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2016 :  16:53:37  Show Profile
Thank you all for your suggestions; been out of circulation for a day or two and will now follow them up. Lew, with hindsight I didn't describe correctly what I was after. I think I should have said double studs, i.e. the ones which accept two sockets.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2016 :  22:13:18  Show Profile
Dave, I thought as much. However, the only doubles I have been able to find was at a neighborhood hardware store (ironmonger). I bought all he had left with no possibility of getting more.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  15:40:26  Show Profile
Following up on Simon's lead, I've been in touch with Scovill Corp who tell me demand for the doubles was very low, so they discontinued them a couple of years ago and have no further stock. I thought Lew's last post was ominous!

I've decided to get the 'orrible machined ones and continue to look for proper ones to replace them later but in the mean time, in case anyone's interested, the Scovill part number is; 90-BB-163187 LTD.

Thanks for all suggestions and good luck Richard. If you happen to find some I'd be interested as you may guess.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  19:49:03  Show Profile
Dave Have you looked at the website I suggested viz. Segal Motor Trimmings ?. They advertise double height L T Ds amongst many other types. Whether they are of the type you are after I cannot say. Worth a look though. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  21:08:02  Show Profile
Ray, my apologies; wrist duely slapped! I have now looked and unfortunately they are the machined from solid that I have now ordered from Namrick. Always worth looking though.

Thanks,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2016 :  09:32:07  Show Profile
Fair enough , Dave. Wasn't sure of the details of the type you were after. Hope the final job is a success. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

jclarkemarine

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  09:31:15  Show Profile
Hello

I noticed a lot of referrals to my website from here so I checked it out and found this thread.
I registered to here a few days ago but in the meantime I have been trying to source the lift the dot you require.

I know this particular one comes with a self tap screw stud and a 2BA thread??

Is there any that you would prefer?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  10:51:11  Show Profile
Hi jclarkemarine

The Lift the Dot studs that are being sort were manufactured in brass nickel plated on steel screws and are double length to accommodate both a tonneau and hood. The formed nut section had rounded shoulders and looks very different from the currently available ones that are turned from solid.

Both self taping and 2 BA could be needed, the self taping we believe not being produced any more.

If you have a source I most certainly would be interested in a dozen self taping

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

jclarkemarine

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  10:58:59  Show Profile
The original DOT brand are no longer manufactured.
There are machined double heights on my website (pointed nose), but I know the ones you are after. I too have a classic car so its nice to get the original bits for them.

I have asked scovill to ask around all there suppliers for these fittings.

I purchase thousands of fasteners a month from scovill so hopefully they can find a few lying about.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  11:14:48  Show Profile
John you are a useful contact, thanks for your trouble.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000