Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Three to Le Mans
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  11:15:50  Show Profile
Three to Le Mans

I’m driving to the Le Mans Classic and back with a co-driver in my J2 (J4307, Register no. 841, or otherwise known in our family as Josephine). The overall distance covered will be around 650 miles. Apart from having fun, the purpose of this trip is to raise funds for Catching Lives (www.catchinglives.org), a charity based in Canterbury, Kent, helping homeless people and rough sleepers find shelter and to get their lives back on track through various initiatives. It is a worthy cause, and the charity does a wonderful job.

In view of the people we are trying to help, it is in a way fitting that we do not have a hood and we will be exposed to the elements. Judging by the weather forecasts, we will encounter significant rain from Montreuil, down through Rouen and on to Le Mans.

The forecast for Le Mans is changing constantly, but at present Friday 8th looks ‘damp’ to say the least, but sunshine on Saturday and Sunday. We have prepared well for this trip, and of course we hope to get there and back without accident or mechanical upset. We are carrying spares, tools, and other bits and pieces which we probably won’t need. I have scoured the Forums, and previous discussions on spares and tools were most helpful to me. Needless to say, there may be a posting from me on the Technical Forum from the roadside somewhere in France requesting the more experienced Triple MMM folk to offer advice with a problem. Whilst many of the more seasoned members may have accomplished long distances in their pre-war MG’s, the longest single excursion in my J2 has been 25 miles. So it is a reasonably daunting prospect to drive to Le Mans and back in a car that is 83 years old and over this long distance, but I have great faith (well-placed I hope) in the engineering of this beautiful machine.

We would both be very grateful for any donations, however small, and the direct link to the Justgiving website is below, providing background information and our itinerary. Our target is 5,000 pounds, and we have already raised 2,280. We’d like to beat the target if we can. All donations go directly to the charity, and none of the funds raised will go toward the costs of this trip. This forum is public, and I am directing this message to all who may alight on this site and read this posting. If you can also help with a donation, you will be assisting people who really do need a leg up in society.

LINKS
Justgiving page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Charlie-Oakes1

Or got to Catching Lives www.catchinglives.org where you can find our story on the ‘Recent News’ section of their Home Page, under ‘Three to Le Mans’; click on this and you will go to our section and the link to our JustGiving page.

Thank you very much on behalf of Catching Lives.

Mark Hollis & Charles Oakes
(and of course, Josephine)

www.triple-mregister.org/forums/uploads/MarkH/201662711_Three to Le Mans.jpg" border="0">

MSH

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  13:00:47  Show Profile
Hi Mark,
good luck for the trip
Please keep us posted and I hope to see you out there
Cheers
Colin

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

philcoombs

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  13:07:49  Show Profile
Mark I have sent you an e-mail let me know if you don't receive it.
Philip
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2016 :  13:38:04  Show Profile
Thanks very much Colin, and Phil, I've not received your email, so I have sent you one - see if you receive it - if not we'll try something else!

Bests,

Mark

MSH
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  14:36:21  Show Profile
Hi Mark, have you seen this on the MGCC website yet :)

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/three-to-le-mans-for-catching-lives/

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2016 :  18:24:19  Show Profile
Hi Colin, yes, great coverage, and thanks to those MGCC members who have already made a donation - much appreciated!

Cheers!

MSH
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2016 :  13:27:04  Show Profile
We arrived back Tuesday evening from Le Mans, and enjoyed the challenge all round, a great experience and all credit to a wonderful old car. Thanks to all of you who made a donation to the charity we were supporting for this run.

Bests,

Mark

MSH
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2016 :  16:34:36  Show Profile
Thanks fir the update Mark, I look forward to reading about your trip.
Well done
Cheers
Colin

D0285
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000