Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tow car
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2016 :  08:05:45  Show Profile
Hello Tony and all others,

This 10% statement is in my opinion very dangerous as many tow bars ( at least on the continent) have a optimal load to the tow bar of 75 kg for heavy cars like my mitsubischi pajero.
So a havy load on the tow bar gives bad steering behaviour of most cars. This 10% rule could make you end up in a ditch.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2016 :  08:38:05  Show Profile
Indeed too much nose weight is as bad as too little and loadings will also be different if you have a 2 wheel trailer or a 4 wheel trailer and whether the wheels are close coupled or spaced a metre apart.Other factors to think of - if the towing vehicle is a commercial, designed for loads in the freight area it is far more tolerant , or a saloon car with soft rear springing which will compress greatly with heavy ball hitch weight and transfer tow vehicle weight further to the rear and give a nose up attitude which is very bad for a front wheel drive car. Trailer design also has a bearing, some will tow arrow straight, others can get in to a 'tank slapper' with very little provocation. As with everything testing configuration in advance in safe conditions is always a wise policy before doing vast distances for the first time.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2016 :  09:36:45  Show Profile
Many thanks to all for your recommendations and advice. The consensus seems to be that, with care, I should be OK with the Passat.
As regards tow bar download, the printed advice agrees with Paul. The maximum tow bar download for my Passat is 75kg and the advice from VW is that the actual download should approach that as closely as possible so maybe 70kg.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 13/07/2016 09:37:14
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
428 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2016 :  06:23:17  Show Profile
The tow vehicle for the SA Trailer was rated to 200kg - so we could accommodate the 10%. You are correct about not exceeding the rated capacity of the tow vehicle.

My apologies for not mentioning this in my earlier post. The point I was trying to make is there needs to be load on the towball !.

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2016 :  18:41:30  Show Profile
Having just loaded up for Prescott, I borrowed the bathroom scales to check the tow-bar weight. The loaded weight on the tow-bar is ~60kg. As stated before, this feels comfortable on the road.

One website suggests that the maximum tow-bar weight for the Fabia is 50kg.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Edited by - Colin McLachlan on 14/07/2016 18:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2016 :  12:20:45  Show Profile
May I suggest, Oz, the trailer is as important as the tow car for relaxed and enjoyable towing. I use a 38 year old Land Rover with a 4 cylinder petrol engine of 81 bhp. Tow vehicle stability is not an issue, but hired trailers are mostly too wide, long, heavy and noisy. The noise coming from the skids jumping about at the slightest undulation or pot hole.
I used a double axle trailer for the Stravaig in 2014. For Ulster this year, an Ifor Williams CT115 single axle trailer, being the narrowest I could find. It was still too wide at 2.15 meters, and noisy.
Presently I am looking at having a trailer made to suit the 42 inch track of my J2. The basic dimensions are 1.27 m draw bar length, 3.05 m long by 1.245 m wide deck, with 1.22 m long hinged skids. The skids cannot rattle, and are much easier to handle than loose ones. A quote of £1,875 plus VAT has come in from one trailer fabricator. A trailer no wider than needed is much easier to use, therefore safer, than a hire trailer, I suggest.

Hugh
J3091
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2016 :  12:52:54  Show Profile
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for that which sounds very interesting. At present I was thinking in terms of hiring one as I suspect I won't be making enough use to warrant buying. If you do go ahead though, I'd appreciate your sending final spec details in case I found I could justify following you.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2016 :  17:59:44  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

Here are some photos of my trailer, built for me by a friend who's good at welding. The bought-in bits (suspension, wheels, towbar, etc cost about £1000, and the finished job totalled ~£2000 (including galvanising, and detachable sides for carrying loose material). The deck is 3m x 1.5m, the total length is 4.15m, and the deck is 500cm above the ground.

I deliberately chose to build it with the wheels under the deck, rather than alongside the deck. This means that it is no wider than the tow car and so is easy to manoeuvre through narrow gaps. The downside is that it needs longer ramps, and mine are 2.8m long. I bought a length of aluminium walkway off eBay, cut it in half, and had lugs welded on one end of each bit to make the ramps. Steel ones would be too heavy.

The deck is ~20mm exterior ply (that was a false economy, as it's showing signs of splitting after four years - I recommend marine ply).

I think the guy who built it must have worked on the Forth Bridge, as It is somewhat over-engineered. At least I know it's not going to fall apart.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Roy

Sweden
17 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2016 :  18:48:26  Show Profile
Hi Everyone
This is what I use to tow my MG

Roy Palm
Sweden

Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2016 :  10:15:20  Show Profile
Wow Roy ! That is impressive. Two great race cars and two really cool tow cars.
So how about bringing the NA special to England for the MMM race next year.
Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 21/07/2016 10:26:14
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  07:57:41  Show Profile
Hugely impressive.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2016 :  09:49:00  Show Profile
Here is the rig I use for most of our Easter National Meetings. TF1500 on a tilt-deck trailer (no ramps) being towed by my Camry V6. Last trip was Melbourne to Perth, (4 days to get there and 4 back). This outfit tows very nicely, just need to be a little gentle on gravel as its front wheel drive. The trailer tyres are light truck tyres and the trailer is balanced so that there is maybe 30Kg down pressure on the tow ball (important not to overload the tow ball on front wheel drive vehicles).

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000