Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Round the World M-type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  06:01:28  Show Profile
Chaps,

If you can get to the bottom of this story, what a cracking good one it would be for the Yearbook. Keep digging please.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:07:59  Show Profile
I've been attempting to find out what happened to Wolveridge & Hay for about six or seven years. That they reached Baghdad was a recent discovery thanks to Ken Martin and a visit to the British Library. This page on the archived part of the PWMN site (scroll down the page towards the bottom) holds a number of small snippets of info and images http://prewarminor.webeden.co.uk/#/the-first-mg-midget/4532627189 while this is the thread on the PWMN forum which has tracked the quest's slow progress http://www.prewarminorforum.com/wolveridge-hay-global-circumnavigation-in-a-midget-t1658.html

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
423 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  11:50:32  Show Profile
Hello Reinout & those watching,
Some Australian newspapers have been digitised and are available to search and print selected articles for free - If you go to the National Library of Australia & look for the Trove Newspaper collection, you can search the entire collection or go to the issues I mentioned earlier.

It's great to hear they got to Singapore - I doubt we will find any Chinese Newspapers from the period. We probably need to jump to San Francisco and see if they got there - any MG Detectives in the San Fran area who can assist with search of newspaper archives perhaps ?.

Let's keep this search going - we can get there !.

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  12:14:40  Show Profile
The Singapore 'Straight's Times' clipping was simply an announcement of their departure from London, not unfortunately an announcement of their arrival in Singapore.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
423 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  02:39:17  Show Profile
Well the model on e-Bay did not sell, and the trail of information seems to stop in Baghdad.

I fear we may never know what happened to this great adventure, but at least we know the two brave chaps survived.

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  04:04:03  Show Profile
Maybe the answer lies with the Hay or Wolveridge families?

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  07:51:21  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I tried contacting the Wolveridge family in Australia via Linked-In but unfortunately didn't receive a response.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
423 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  10:21:00  Show Profile
Chris, If you want to email me or Matthew offline with what you know of the Wolveridge family in Australia, then I can work with Matthew and see if we can make contact ?.

Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2016 :  16:29:32  Show Profile
This is a copy of Matthew's post from 2013 which led me to attempt to contact Michael Wolveridge in Australia and was the only lead I had at that time and as mentioned earlier had no joy. Michael Wolveridge heads up what looks to be a very successful firm of architects with two offices, one in Melbourne and the other in Port Douglas, Queensland. http://wolveridge.com.au/

Posted - 19/10/2013 : 05:26:32 Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
W.E. and Marie Wolveridge were residents of Freemantle and Perth according to the electoral roll (Ancestry) with the last entry being 1972 for Walter. Another Wolveridge couple, Gillian and Michael, appear in Victoria in 1972 (it is possible Michael is a son??). Michael is in the white pages (online) currently in Queensland. He is the only Wolveridge listed in Australia.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
423 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2016 :  09:08:19  Show Profile
I have passed on what we know so far to a relative who has a very, very good track record of finding living decendants.
It may take a few weeks, but I am confident he will find a relative if one exists in Australia of Walter E. Wolveridge.
Can anyone in the UK follow up on Capt. May perhaps ?.

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2016 :  10:38:37  Show Profile
Interestingly (Capt) Max(well) Hay is a rare beast, no sign in the UK or in the Military, but there is a Joseph Max Hay born in Tasmania.

Hopefully this is a small help.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
423 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2016 :  05:10:07  Show Profile
A progress report.
There appears to be no living decendants in Australia of Walter & Marie.
They brought no children with them to Fremantle in 1950.
They may have had a child together prior to their marriage in 1934, and the research is now concentrating on trying to trace this (maybe) child (born 1932).

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2016 :  14:53:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

Interestingly (Capt) Max(well) Hay is a rare beast, no sign in the UK or in the Military, but there is a Joseph Max Hay born in Tasmania.

Hopefully this is a small help.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

This was what little I found and posted in a previous thread:
quote:
Max Donald Hay (possibly originally Booth-Hay) seems to disappear during the war years. He was supposedly born in Scotland in about 1889 (can't find a record of that though!), served in the Durham Light Infantry and RAF and had worked as an engineer of some sort in the Straits Settlements - there's a travel record for him arriving in Britain earlier in 1930, accompanied by his wife and baby daughter. They later lived in Lewisham but disappear off the electoral roll after 1938.

After that - apparently zilch. No death records for either Max or his wife Olive May Hay and in 1958 his daughter placed a 'missing relatives' advert looking for him (but not her mother).
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2016 :  15:45:18  Show Profile
Postscript to that. Electoral roll shows they'd moved to Dulwich by 1939 - Hay's full name was listed as Maxeme Donald Hay. His death was registered in Bridgend in 1969. He was born on Nov 11th, but it looks like there's a typo on the death register record on Ancestry - that shows him as born 1898, which is presumably meant to be 1889. He and Olive feature - with photos - in a family tree on Ancestry (google "Maxeme Donald Hay"). The family tree claims he was born in 1887!

In 1954 an Olive May Hay (presumably the same one) is on the electoral roll in Fairford, Gloucestershire - seemingly the landlady of the Bull Hotel. She died in Bath in 1980.

They had presumably divorced, as Maxeme remarried in 1946 - and may have lied about his age: http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry-family/fa000990-3462.html

Edited by - Vitesse on 18/09/2016 15:50:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000