Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Repository for Works and other Triple-M drawings.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2016 :  14:49:23  Show Profile
Whilst noting Chris Little's difficulties in gaining access to original Works drawings, it occurs to me that the Triple-M Register would be the ideal repository for a collection of such important documents which could be held in a database accessed by members through this excellent website.

I believe that copies of many Triple-M Works documents now lie in private hands and through the goodwill of their owners, it would be possible to build a useful collection for the benefit of members and for providing a definitive authority for the continuity of the specifications of our cars.

I suspect that copyright issues should no longer be a problem since the 50-year limit is well passed, but this would need to be confirmed. Perhaps members and the Triple-M Committee may wish to consider this suggestion.

I could offer a few of these documents.

Powerplus.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2016 :  14:53:55  Show Profile
This sounds a great idea Alan although I myself have nothing to supply.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2016 :  16:47:10  Show Profile
Excellent idea Alan. Hope those with the powers respond positively!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2016 :  23:00:51  Show Profile
Alan I agree it is a good idea and I also have a large amount of R Type drawings that I would like to ensure can be used by present & future owners although I realise a somewhat small requirement.

My own view and although a member of the Register Committee whom I'm sure will discuss this matter in due course the problem is a matter of storage and responsibility.

The Register does not have premises as such so it would fall on a Committee Member to store these items in a safe and orderly manner being able to make available the necessary copies.

My own thoughts on this and what I have started albeit in a minor way is to photograph the drawings download to the computer and depending on the quantity burn them to a CD either by group, i.e. engine , chassis etc. This would help to solve the storage problem and maybe the other problems mentioned could be solved by storage and access of the CDs being held by the Archivist at Kimber House now that there is a dedicated Archive Room.

As I said just my own thoughts and not a Committee response.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2016 :  14:12:59  Show Profile
I think Alan you were thinking on the lines of the current situation where various technical, but not necessarily original MG, documents can be downloaded from the Register's main site?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2016 :  16:30:57  Show Profile
It would be brilliant to have any MMM drawings or specifications available to members. I would suggest any drawings whether they be original in pen or pencil on paper or tracing, copies in blue-print or dyeline should be professionally scanned at original size/colour and saved in PDF file format, these could easily be posted in "Documents Download". The ownership could be credited and of course the original media which probably has some value would remain with the owner. Perhaps a club sub-committee should be set up to acquire, execute and return media for this exercise to ensure security and insurance cover.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  08:47:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Verrill

It would be brilliant to have any MMM drawings or specifications available to members....... Perhaps a club sub-committee should be set up to acquire, execute and return media for this exercise to ensure security and insurance cover.

Members? Club sub-committee? Are we talking about the M.G. Car Club and its members here?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  09:30:07  Show Profile
I have some experience in this area as I have been running a project in the Austin 7 world to 'digitise' our archive materials. You can see what we've been doing at http://archive.a7ca.org/ I'm not in a position to be involved in a MMM project (I've got enough on my plate with the Austin one!), but would happily talk to anyone who was...

hth...

So many dynamos

Edited by - Orstin on 16/10/2016 09:31:02
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  20:58:01  Show Profile

Dave, Chris and Richard. Thank you for your comments in support of my concerns regarding ongoing access to these documents. I have in mind the capture of the original Works drawings which are characterised by the heading " The M.G. Car Company Ltd " together with various boxes which, amongst others, contain a description of the part, the model to which it relates, together with a part number. There may be other documents of similar importance which need to be captured before they are irretrievably lost in the mists of time. As a Register within the main Club our particular interest will be in securing documents relevant to our Triple-M interests, but if such documents continued to be produced subsequent to the Triple-M manufacturing period, then the relevant Registers and the main Club may wish to be involved.

Bob, Thank you also for your contribution which is much appreciated, especially as a holder of some of these drawings. Your actions to make provision for the long term security of these documents clearly supports the view that these are worthy of preservation.

Simon. I am uncertain as to the way forward here as there may need to be a Main Club involvement ( the boundaries of responsibility/action between Register and Club are not apparent to members). However I would expect in the first instance that this is a project for serious consideration, approval, or otherwise, by the Register Committee and their
recommendations for a way forward.

Orstiin. Thanks also for your comments, which confirms the direction of thinking being adopted by other car clubs.

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  22:16:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by powerplus

the boundaries of responsibility/action between Register and Club are not apparent to members

Alan,

When you say 'members' to whom are you referring?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  00:34:13  Show Profile
Simon,
Being a 'branch' of The MG Car Club Ltd., the Triple-M Register has no separate legal constitution. It would appear that the Register has some delegated powers to act independently through a Committee of Triple-M Register members.That Committee is appointed by other Triple-M members. Triple-M Register members are paid-up members of the MG Car Club, and resulting from their specific interest in, or ownership of, Triple-M cars, are also designated as members of the Triple-M Register.

Those are the 'members' to whom I have referred in the context of my posting. Whilst the extent of powers and duties of the Triple-M Committee are presumably defined, it is not apparent to what extent it can authorise project expenditure, for example.

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  05:39:48  Show Profile
Alan,

Someone interesting ideas there, not least the notion that having an interest in Triple-M cars makes someone a 'member' of the Triple-M Register, and hopefully our Chairman will weigh in to set things straight.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  09:28:42  Show Profile
Alan is nearly correct - see my posting on the HM The Queen's 90th Birthday, Classic Car Event thread for clarification and an important message for all Forum members! http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11457

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 17/10/2016 11:03:40
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  11:20:57  Show Profile
Thank you Dick for the clarification, it is as I understood the position, Simon's query had me thinking!

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  11:23:18  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Alan,

Someone interesting ideas there, not least the notion that having an interest in Triple-M cars makes someone a 'member' of the Triple-M Register, and hopefully our Chairman will weigh in to set things straight.

Simon J
J3437
[/quote

Simon, I am not sure I read Alan's message the same as you do - he says "Triple-M Register members are paid-up members of the MG Car Club, and resulting from their specific interest in, or ownership of, Triple-M cars, are also designated as members of the Triple-M Register."

To me, that means that they are members of the MGCC before they can become members of the Triple M Register. Having your car on the Register is another thing entirely.

Of course strictly we are not members of the Triple M Register, we just have our cars listed on it...we are members of the MGCC!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2016 :  12:33:28  Show Profile
Of course, membership of the MGCC is a given; it's the idea that having an interest in Triple-M cars is of any significance. As you say we aren't members of the Triple-M Register, but if we were to try and define such a status it requires two conditions to be met, namely MGCC membership and ownership of a Triple-M car.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000