Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 SF24 Trafficator remake project Underway
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2016 :  23:56:50  Show Profile
I mentioned on an earlier forum of a plan for a fairly sizable project to remake SF24 trafficators from scratch.
Thank you for those who have expressed interest in this project already, and your encouragement.
To announce this project is now underway, commencing with the trafficator boxes.
Project timetable, to make part by part, and be ready to assemble complete trafficators by late next year.
This is one of a group of collaborative projects I am tackling to make and precision engineer and craft hard to get parts for my car, and to be able to offer to others interested on a make to order basis.
I would be keen and encourage other enthusiasts to take on organized projects such as this, right through from redesign to limited batch production of these hard to find, or hard to get parts.
The list of parts I would say is getting bigger, as some parts I have noticed such as remote gearbox turrets, may be wearing out for the first time in their service lives. Mine is too.
The approach put forward is to work together with other MG enthusiasts, engineers and skilled crafts people to produce parts that are correct and have the design and crafted engineering integrity of the original parts.
The SF24s I am making are being remade with accuracy of parts to be interchangeable with originals.
Materials used compatible with originals except where materials had engineering constraints at the time eg arms (pot metal-use brass or stainless steel), lenses (celluloid-use epoxy), and bulbs (filament-use LED).
In order to help fund the project, a recovery on a portion of costs is proposed, and that parts as they are made are offered for sale on a make to order basis. Inquiries welcome.
Part #1. Trafficator boxes (completing this week, see attached).
Part #2. Arms (investment cast in brass or stainless steel)
Part #3 Lenses (mirco-fibreglass reinforced coloured epoxy moulding).
Above are likely the most difficult parts to make.
To demonstrate what is involved, the processes and crafts being applied are being demonstrated on my industrial design website.
I am regularly being asked how I make things and how I work out how to make things. I now realize these type of skills are quickly being lost, starting from my generation (last of 'baby boomers' early 60s) and moreso with later generations.
For accurate and correct making, I recommend that an original part is always used as a reference and for test fitting of component parts.
Engineering drawings largely not being used. Using direct measurement of originals, making patterns, dies, and moulds.
Acknowledgements to date.
Rod Brayshaw (NZ). Panel-making training (back to the early 1980s)
Peter Lawn (NZ), support, and methodology - try, and try again, if that doesn't work, think about it, then work out and try another method
Michael Wood (NZ) - complete trafficator (out of his very original 1935 PA).
Colin Smithson (NZ) - design ideas, making discussion and trials, original trafficator parts
Brian Sullivan (US) - support, material selection and supply

Attachments

1. Tooling and equipment
2. End folding
3. Completed box bodies, prototypes beside an original, some minor finishing to go
4. Trafficator box process sheet

To go - end panels (20 gauge), soldering end panels (originally spot welded), solenoid holder tab, and brass eyelet (machine in brass).

Footnote, original trafficator boxes measured to be 21 gauge for the main box, and 18 gauge for the end and tab, spot welded. Plan to use available 24 and 20 gauge respectively, solder rather than weld.

Working out a way to reproduce the lettering on the back, and year stamp on the top - possibly photo-etching - advice welcome.

Donald McLeod
PB0759

Edited by - DDMDSN on 17/10/2016 00:12:41

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2016 :  01:44:01  Show Profile
Donald,

The trafficator project looks very good. Parts appear to be coming together nicely.
Well done.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000