Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Bench seat for M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2016 :  10:00:28  Show Profile
I currently have individual bucket seats but would like to reinstate the bench backed type. The bucket seats are fine but don't allow room for the transmission tunnel

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2016 :  10:30:03  Show Profile
so Peter , where is the prop-shaft located now? rear engine M type! what next? Rich
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  09:50:23  Show Profile
Ha ...nice one Rich. It's a dog's breakfast I'm afraid. The tunnel is cut short and a piece of heavy duty cardboard covered the coupling. I'm half hopeful that a slight reposition of the seats will allow a proper tunnel to be fitted. Which dovetails neatly into my next need! A propshaft tunnel. It is however very rewarding to be getting rid of the awful old 3/4" thick chipboard floor and planning a nice new 12mm wrp replacement.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  16:35:30  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
I have sent you a message RE correct Black bench seats for M-Type.
Cheers James collingburn@btinternet.com

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  21:12:20  Show Profile
Rich,
M's don't need a tunnel, the propshaft is low enough to allow a flat floor. All that is required is a small cover adjacent the rear bulkhead to give bump clearance for the fabric coupling. A number of locally bodied Australian cars a like this (in period M's were imported as rolling chassis & fitted with local bodies)& my metal bodied M which I bought in the UK in the mid 1970's also has no tunnel although I am about to correct this.

Geoff 2M 3328
Go to Top of Page

Paul Rogers

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  15:12:37  Show Profile
On a similar topic, does anyone know where I can get the sprung base and back units for a bench seat for an M? At the moment I only have the woodwork (new).
Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  21:05:03  Show Profile
Hi Paul, from me, I have sent you a message.
Cheers James.

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  19:11:20  Show Profile
Paul, don't forget that the M type seats were originally pneumatic not sprung bases.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2017 :  08:24:14  Show Profile
As Keith says, plus the fact that the only woodwork is the back panel. The cushions don't have wood bases. Foam is now often used for the seat back and cushions.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
640 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2017 :  08:51:01  Show Profile
But be careful when doing this. I spent ages getting the seat heights right on my M so my eyline was about or slightly below the top of the windscreen glass. You see many M where the owners sit rather like a pea on a drum with their heads way above screen height..

This gives you an idea...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3116 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2017 :  09:11:02  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2017 :  13:25:42  Show Profile
For some of us the seat height can't be resolved to be able to look through the screen! I have an air cushion with enough air to raise me 1/2" off the floor and still end up looking over it.

I noticed in the latest Morris Monthly that someone had found a good source for pneumatic cushions that look more period than the ones I have which are made from clear plastic and they seem cheaper to boot, so might get some for mine.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2017 :  19:36:37  Show Profile
All MMM bench seats were originally pneumatic but they were never very good and I don't know a company who makes them and certainly not one offs that would be cost effective. Trust me, they are a thing of the past and rightly so. Original or not they are awful to work with.

quote:
Originally posted by Keith Durston

Paul, don't forget that the M type seats were originally pneumatic not sprung bases.
Keith

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
640 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  08:44:37  Show Profile
I have to disagree with you James. Moseley float on air cushions were standard fitting in Austin 7s - of which I have spent most of my adult life driving. A decent inflatable cushion (reproduction replacements are available) are the most comfortable seating arrangement I have ever come across - and I've driven some mighty distances on them..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  10:45:06  Show Profile
Hugh, where do you get your replacements from?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  11:07:13  Show Profile
Really couldn't have a better web site address than this one for the product!

www.hovercraftconsultants.co.uk

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000