Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Bench seat for M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  11:13:29  Show Profile
and in finding the above, I came across this extensive listing.

Looks worth bookmarking for handling restoration issues:

http://oldcarservices.co.uk/interior-trim-supplies-upholstery/

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  12:01:00  Show Profile
I got my pneumatic cushions from Hovercraft Consultants. I understand the boss has a vintage car himself and he realised that his company had the wherewithall to make the cushions for his car and now does it on demand for other vintage car owners. They weren't cheap but I considered them affordable and they work brilliantly.
Ian, that is a good website now on my "favourites".
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
380 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  13:52:39  Show Profile
They seem to be trading now as Duratank. The website has a section on inflatable cushions for vintage cars. www.duratank.com/inflatable-classic-car-seat-cushions

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2583 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  16:09:09  Show Profile
Very interesting. I have in fact got pneumatic seats in my car, as I had in a Sunbeam Talbot I bought when 17. Very comfortable indeed.

The only reason I ask is because I could do with a little more support at the front edges and getting the outer tube to tuck in there is difficult. These look very similar to mine and this may be where mine came from.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  17:23:16  Show Profile
Dave,
When I had mine made I had the pneumatic tubes made in 2 sections. I don't know if this was original but it followed the pattern of the rotten ones that came with my car in 1964. Essentially one tube was shaped like a horeshoe and went round the sides and front. The other tube was in the centre and was the bit that bore most of your weight. The idea clearly was that you could then inflate the horshoe tube with higher pressure than the central tube thus giving a slight "bucket seat" effect. That would then also provide more support at the front. That sounds as though it might solve your problem.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
380 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  17:33:27  Show Profile
Keith,

I know that in the bench seat format the upholstery extends over the tunnel but does the inflatable cushion also do so or is it in separate sections either side of the tunnel? I know you have separate wooden base panels linked with a metal arch but I can't remember the layout of the "sausages".

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
714 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  18:46:08  Show Profile
I have separate cushions either side and the bit over the tunnel is just wadding to make the shape. The wooden seat bases and metal arch joining them which I have is a direct copy from J Halls M type which he believes is original. This thread suggests that there is no wooden base and the period shots certainly appear to support that. If there is no wooden base I wonder how the seat was secured to stop it moving forward.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
640 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2017 :  22:21:49  Show Profile
Sorry, coming back late to this. Yes, Hovercraft people provide the the new inflatable seat inners. I think Bryan Purves can supply them as well. Keith is also spot on, there is an inner inflatable 'bladder' and then a 'horseshoe' up the 2 sides and across the front. Inflate that one slightly harder than the inner and that provides support under the leg and holds you 'in place' on the seat.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2017 :  20:47:11  Show Profile
I stand corrected, I will look into those companies when I've used up my current stock of seat bases.
Cheers guys

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000