Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Use of classic cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AFM781

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  19:55:38  Show Profile
Today 14 mile round trip into Leominster 1 PVT Riley, 2 morgans, 1 MG B V8.

It's not only the weekends they cometo the Marches.
Go to Top of Page

malcolm jones

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  22:23:56  Show Profile
That was probably me in my Riley 9 near Leominster, meeting up for lunch with an F type, MGB GT, E type Jaguar and their owners.
The countryside and roads in the Marches suit our cars (apart from the potholes!), we are so lucky living here, why would you drive anything else?
Just stay away from the motorways.

Malcolm

M. G. Jones
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  11:23:18  Show Profile
I don't really agree about keeping away from motorways, Malcolm. Generally speaking, everyone is going in the same direction, the road surfaces are pretty splendid, there are no nasty concrete blocks or exposed manhole covers on the nearside gutter, no "sleeping policeman" and cruising at 45 - 60 mph my car doesn't get in the way of the faster stuff. Admittedly I don't get too many chances of overtaking anything - least of all anything with the three pointed star badge on it, and that includes commercial vans. (I put that bit in about Mercedes vehicles just for you Doctor John).

I would certainly agree that the enjoyment factor of driving on good "A" and "B" roads in our cars is something special, but the motorways have their uses, if you need to cover the miles in the shortest possible time. I would add that I frequently go out of my way to avoid the M25. Too many accidents, too many hold-ups and too many people who look as if they might have neither a driving licence nor motor insurance.
Colin B.

y
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  11:37:40  Show Profile
I know this is the triple M register but since J2 prices have cut out the average sports car man, then the modern alternative is the Mazda MX5- 2 litre twin overhead camshaft engine with rear wheel drive. Perfect fun sun car.
I am now on my third MX5 none of which have ever let me down. Latest is a 2007 MX5 zsport. (One of 400 made).

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3433 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  12:31:39  Show Profile
Right way up and cropped a bit
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  11:18:19  Show Profile
A weekend trip of 400 miles plus to Kent produced the following few sightings, tail end of an unidentifed vintage car, 2 Morgans, a MGR V8, a VW oval rear window Beetle, an open top hood down Jaguar Manual XJS.

The total surprise was a Merlin engined Spitfire flying over Meopham Green on Saturday afternoon,
the first time I have seen one there since WW2! I am told it is a regular sight in the area.
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  11:28:07  Show Profile
I remember reading an article in a sports car mag some years ago, that compared the P Type MG to the Mazda MX5 as comparable sports cars of their day. I tend to agree, particularly the early MX5s with no power steering. Non-synchro box too would have been even better.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  22:29:14  Show Profile
I'm fairly sure that the classic most often seen on our motorways is the VW Camper. Big enough to be useful, small enough for any parking space, reliable and refined and (with the 2-litre Type 4 engine) enough poke to cruise easily at 60-70. We have been in the Lake District in ours today and will be driving it home tomorrow.

I'd just add that it would never have occurred to me to buy one, but it came with Mrs Jones (her dad bought it in 1979) and I'm a surprised convert.

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6200 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  22:33:27  Show Profile
VW campers do have their uses. I bought this one for a tenner in 1972 to bring my J2 home to Belfast from Leeds

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2580 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  23:31:22  Show Profile
I have very fond memories of Campers. A company I worked for in the late '60s had a split screen & a wrap around screen, the latter being such an improvement as to seem a completely different vehicle. The chief engineer had the nerve to suggest I had signed for some anti freeze for one of them to put in the PA! "I may be stupid, but not that much."

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000