Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Silverstone
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  20:33:15  Show Profile
Having no car and just got back from the warm climes of Cannes, I wondered how Silverstone went? It was a misirable weekend where I am which is about 100 miles east of Silverstone. I hope all that made the effort were rewarded we a fun weekend.

Wish me luck for Friday it is the date of my appeal to hopefully get my licence back and my fine reduced. Which of course will go on Silks fees!!

Rodney

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  21:19:03  Show Profile
I went to Silverstone on Saturday when it stayed dry but I believe it was very wet Friday and you could see evidence of this on Saturday with the marshy ground etc.

To be honest I think Silverstone is a dump and not the best of places to display our type of cars. I think this reflected in the turn out which together with the Vintage MG`s was not large.

Okay if you have a moderm MGF I suppose but the whole place lacks the the feel for pre war cars and of course being so near to the Grand Prix it is like a big building site.

Remind me next year not to go!

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  21:31:24  Show Profile
Went to Loton instead to assist a competitor whose usual 'mechanic' was not available. Excellent week-end. It stayed fine both days despite the weather forecast for heavy rain on the Sunday. Can thoroughly recomend it. (Make a note for next year Mike).

Good luck on Friday, Rodney. What's this "No car" comment? Is it with Mr Dark?

Peter

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 26/06/2007 11:52:48
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2007 :  21:39:49  Show Profile
I thought it was a very disappointing show both in attendance of cars and spares, like Mike said it was ok if you have a MGB or MGF but not pre war cars although the T types faired a little better. I will congratulate the few who made the effort to take ther cars because if it wasn't for them there would have been nothing of interest for me. I will have to think hard next year about going again.
Hope all goes well for you Friday Rodney so that you can get back to driving your PA.(and modern)
Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  00:32:37  Show Profile
Mike,

Did you go home early on Saturday? It poured with rain just before and during the Triple-M race.

Those that did not watch it missed a very exciting Triple-M race which had its largest entry for many years. I was told that it was the most exciting race of the day (I did not see it as I was taking part in K3011). The heavy rain meant that the fast cars (single seat K3, R type and some large capacity K3 replicaÆs) were disadvantaged more than the slower cars (unblown P types) which meant that there was some very close racing and no one was lapped, I think this is the first time that this has ever happened. There were many incidents during the race due to the heavy rain and very slippery track, but luckily no cars were damaged. The Kimber Trophy (first Triple-M car over the finishing flag) went to John Dutton in his blown K2 and the Mary Harris Trophy (the handicap result) went to Andrew Bradshaw in his unblown P type.

I agree that the Register parking was rather cramped and not ideal but Bernie Ecclestone would not let us park on the grass (which turned out to be a good thing due to all the rain). I think the MGCC did the best they could in the circumstances.

You say that Silverstone is a ædumpÆ and not the best place to display our type of cars, the Silverstone weekend is not just about displaying cars, there are competitive events as well, about 50 Triple-M cars took part in the racing, the sprint, the California Cup (driving tests) the gymkhana and concours.

Yes, the weather did spoil what should have been a very enjoyable weekend and it obviously must have had an influence on the lower number of Triple-M cars attending than usual.

One final point, at what event can you see more Triple-M cars than there were at Silverstone.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  08:58:00  Show Profile
I could only get to Silverstone on the sunday so was sorry to miss the Triple M race which I am told was great fun. Congratulations to John and Andrew on their wins in what sounds like difficult conditions.
On sunday there were rather a lot of disgruntled people complaining about the lack of atmosphere etc. The surroundings and register parking facilities were certainly not so good as previous years but overall I think the weather and the works for the British Grand Prix were the main factors to spoil the day.
I arrived about 9 and left about mid day having chatted to a few people, looked around the cars and the trade tents, found nothing new to interest me and got wet.
In contrast to the previous Sunday at Brooklands which was brilliant it was a dissapointing day. Will I go again next year ? I expect so _ I always do!

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  09:19:32  Show Profile
Peter,

I am pleased you enjoyed the MMM race as a driver alas, having driven 500 miles on the Friday with a caravan in tow from my holiday then a drive of 170 miles on Saturday to Silverstone my back legs had gone by 4 o`clock!

Having never raced at Silverstone I cannot comment from the drivers point of view but from the spectatots angle it just lacks the atmosphere unlike Oulton Park which is I think superb.

From a Health and Safety point of view I am amazed at the obstacles being erected for the Grand Prix. Last year trying to get a view of the circuit I trod on a floor section of a part built marquee and went into orbit.

I never found the Concours and with the static display being so widly dispersed accounts for the mileage on my back legs.

You mention Bernie not letting you use the grass, was he there then in a MMM car as I did not see him, if so what MMM car was he in?

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  10:45:54  Show Profile
Well as one who has been a little inactive lately I thoroughly enjoyed the Friday and Saturday - though I did go in an MGF! I thought the turnout was almost as good as I've seen in the past - perhaps we need to find another anniversary to celebrate!

It was bad luck that the rain came down when it did, but it did make for some spectacular viewing and quite an exciting race. It was great to see three genuine K3s, and the R-type (first time I have seen one go!) along with the various specials and the Wolseley Hornet 'Cuckoo in the nest', all of whom put on a brilliant show, several spinning in the wet at Copse. A minor disappointment is that very few of the standard bodied road going cars race these days.

I do agree that Silverstone is not ideal for our cars, and can be pretty bleak, but for better or worse that's where the event has traditionally been run - you'd have a riot on your hands if you tried to change it!

Well done chaps

Graham

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  11:34:35  Show Profile
I agree our Register car parking was not ideal but the MGCC did their best at short notice - we were originally allocated our usual slot but as Peter Green states it was a good job we were moved! Also we were at the end of the Registrer parking because we wanted a small marquee in which to display the J types and this was pitched on the only available bit of grass.

I inherited the task of marshalling the Triple-M car park on Saturday morning and I was pleased with the variety and number of Triple-M cars - we had over 50 including my NB - and the display of J types was very good. I particularly liked the J4 which I have not seen before.

The trade area was a bit disappointing from our point of view but the Triple-M race was very good. One of the best features of MGCC Silverstone is the chance to meet friends and talk to so many people from different countries, many of them regular visitors.

The Triple-M Librarian and his assistants were certainly kept busy!

A meeting certainly woth supporting.

George Eagle,
Secretary, Triple-M Register.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  17:00:25  Show Profile
From a Dutch point of view, here's the following:
I've been going to Silverstone for the last 6 or 7 years and even though I can spot a degradation of the event with less trade stands , less interesting races, less sunshine, less everything, I do come back every year, moan a little and then come back again!
I don't see why Silverstone would not be a good event to display Triple-M cars though. You have all these young folk driving MGF's and the like to show your car to and tell and teach them what is it that enabels them to drive M.G.'s. Of course Brooklands can't be beaten for atmosphere, but Silverstone isn't that bad, is it? Anyone?
For me, this Saturday was the best Silverstone Saturday by far: A grid of 20 Triple-M cars, a tremendous race with Mad Mr Dark showing off with the R-type, the Rat -my favourite- doing great coming home fifth and all that on a slippery track!
In the paddock I met a load of interesting people and at the display area counted about 65 cars. Including the racing cars that makes 85 of them. Low numbers? I don't think so!
Sure, there is no fun to be had on the Sunday (no Triple-M race and the traders clear out at 10 a.m. because of a little shower!), and the Friday is no real fun either, but that one Saturday definitely made it all worth it!
I do think the MGCC has tried its best to put on a barbecue with a live band in the main marquee on the Saturday evening. We danced the night away!

To conclude: Please show up next year, because I pay a lot of money to cross the water to see and meet you AND your cars. Thank you!

Cathelijne Spoelstra

Go to Top of Page

howard r

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  20:59:35  Show Profile
I went for the whole weekend as usual and had a really good time. Considering the difficult conditions, I thought the re-organising of thr register parking was as could as be expected. There was some excellent racing, especially the incident packed Triple-M race and I managed to find a part for my D-type that I had been searching for for ages (albeit from the MMM gangster).

Howard
Go to Top of Page

dbass

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  21:38:59  Show Profile
this was our third visit to Silverstone and the second we have been soaked, disappointing with the lack of mmm spares available, good cars to see though, got caught again by buying a " genuine " F2 part only to be told it wasn't, still it will be ok to use,(should have asked you before i bought it Stefan). But as a saying my wife found " a man with an obsession has got little sales resistance "i should have learnt my lesson by now but probably still haven't !.

David Bass F708
Go to Top of Page

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  23:00:53  Show Profile
We had a great time at Silverstone, despite the rain- cars and people are still interesting, even when wet!

I managed to enter the California Cup on the day, but did not have time to find a team to rival the Ms due to the recent arrival of Reid junior, so it is one for next year again....

The California Cup is good fun and need not be damaging, so drop me a line if you would like to team up next year (on a more-the-merrier basis rather than just to win).

I just made it to the Gymkhana too, though the organisation was even worse than last year and it did not really provide value for money (ú13 vs ú10 for the CC) in my opinion, though it would still be good to see more MMM there, if you're not racing.

I was also snapping and have pictures of PG1045, GP1855, VC8174, and BKL 785 at the California Cup.

I have various pictures of the following racers: 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 40.
Email me if you would like a digital copy (for free of course).

I hope to get some on to the photo section of this site too, but will need to do some editing first I think.

bonumovum@btinternet.com

Alex
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  09:47:20  Show Profile
First-time, spur of the moment, visit to this event, primarily to pick up some spares already purchased (thanks, Terry) but now with a ú17.50 entrance supplement.
Much too expensive for its small MMM content, but, then, anything MMM is always a
sideshow to the MGB/MGF interests. Worth the distance to see the lovely Australian SVW coup?.
The same problem is apparent in other clubs in that the tiny proportion who race get good value by being subsidised by the others at the meeting.
If you want to search for MMM stuff, Beaulieu is a better place. Meetings like Silverstone or Stoneleigh, though, are good for putting a face to the name.
Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  10:18:09  Show Profile
Well it seems a 50-50 split on the quality of the day, however I would add that if we all get the blues over how bad it is and we all stop going, that would be that. The mgcc would just stop catering for us triple mmm ers. MGF's and B' are ok but they are not real MG's are they?? Thr last real MG was the "A" in my book. Nice to know that meny of you had a good day.

regards Rodney

PS peter scot, ( no comment)
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  10:26:06  Show Profile
Bob,

At MG Silverstone it is the other way round, the racers subsidise the other events that take place over the weekend. The racers, in total, paid about ú100,000 in entry fees which more than covered the racing costs.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000