Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fly wheel lightening
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LesG

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2007 :  16:39:15  Show Profile
My J1 is about to be fitted with a Phoenix crankshaft and it has been suggested that lightening the flywheel would be a worthwhile exercise even though it will only be used for general touring. This raises the questions of how much to take off and from where? Any advice and thoughts would be very welcome.
Thanks,

Les Green

Edited by - LesG on 26/06/2007 16:40:39

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  18:14:45  Show Profile
Les, there was a drawing of a lightened flywheel for P and N types in the yearbook for 1973 - I have no idea if it would apply to J types but I could scan it in and send it if its any use to you...

Graham
Go to Top of Page

LesG

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2007 :  22:46:34  Show Profile
Graham
That would be a great help; at the very least least it will give me an idea what's involved. My email address is: bateman.green@virgin.net.
Many thanks

Les Green
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2007 :  13:20:30  Show Profile
I have fitted a Phoenix crankshaft on my J2 and ligthened the flywheel by approximately 2.5 kg. We took the drawing in Howel's Restoration guide for J as a reference.
The engine is nice, especially in the lower revs.
Hope it helps.

Christian Cottes
Go to Top of Page

LesG

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  16:24:57  Show Profile
Thanks for that Christian. Looks like I will have to obtain a copy of this oft quoted book! I'm glad to hear your lightening was a success; it has given me the encouragement to see this project through.

Les Green
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000