Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Fuel Tank
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  09:02:38  Show Profile
There is currently a M Type fuel tank for sale on ebay. This has the filler positioned totally within the top front left corner. I have photographs showing similar tanks and also ones with a small half cone extension fitted to the front face to move the filler forwards. How do these relate to year / wing type / head lamp bracket etc.

Cheers

Jan T

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  09:34:49  Show Profile
My late M type has the tank with the filler completely contained within the top of the tank. What material was used to fabricate these tanks? is it available? Rich.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  10:44:19  Show Profile
The tanks were all soldered construction and the steel used is what is known today as TERNE COATED steel. The steel thickness was 20swg and the lead / tin coating was a "nats dick" thin!

So how do I know all this, well I use to manage a company where we used TERNE COATED steel and we bonded lead to this for architectural cladding systems.

If you still have the original tank with the correct swaged ends and baffles this can be recoated using FRYOLUX tinning paste, you just past the grey goo on and hit it with a gaz torch and it turns to tin coating before your eyes.

The tank body is one piece steel with a swaged / hemmed seam which runs along the rear face width ways you tin solder seal after locking in the two edges. Fit the baffles first and solder in place then lasly fit the ends and seam the edge with tinmans solder.

I have in the past made most of the replacement tanks for 18/80`s and several M types this way.

There is an M type tank on ebay at present which is incorrect as the filler cap is not recessed and the tank front face is not swaged.

The tanks you mention and see now and then where the filler protrudes onto the forward face I think were fitted to some Morris cars.

WARNING, NEVER USE AN INTERNAL FUEL TANK SEALANT ON TERNE COATED STEEL TANKS AS IT WILL NOT ADHERE TO THE SURFACE, LEAD/TIN BY ITS VERY NATURE HAS AN OILY LIKE FINISH.

Hope this is of use, no, I do not make tanks anymore.

M ELLIS

Edited by - Mike on 08/07/2007 14:55:17
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  09:19:57  Show Profile
Very informative response from Mike, many thanks. Is it possible to use ordinary un-coated mild steel (in the absence of the coated steel) in conjunction with one of the proven tank sealants? Regards Rich P.S the early Morris Minor tanks were of very different dimensions to the M tank.
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  11:49:45  Show Profile
In answer to your question regarding internal tank sealants, they are okay on new bare or rusty mild steel as they will adhere okay.

Degrease the inside of the tank first if required with thinners but not white spirits.

I used a sealant for aircraft fuel tanks code PR1005L and it is available from Sil-Mid ltd, web site www.silmid.com or 01675 432875 or info@silmid.com It works out at about ú11 per 500 ml plus postage but as you would expect for use in the aircraft industry its the best and sticks like sxxt to a blanket.

My NA original tank and J2, P TYPE new tanks have been treated with this stuff okay. It cures on its own very quickly and as it is red for a while you will have red dyed petrol but it will not harm your engine its only the colour leaching out.

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  20:10:47  Show Profile
Mike,

The Minor tanks were basically idnetical to thios of the M Types except for the filler and the mounting method. All the Minor scuttle tanks (OHC and 1931 SV) had the filler neck fitted on top of the tank and protruded up thru the steel scuttle dash. The tanks were strapped to the rear face of the firewall with steel straps, but the M tanks had rightangle brackets on each end to bolt them down to a horizontal wooden platform.

I have a Minor tank which needs converting to early M spec. - any advice on how to fabricate the filler neck?
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  21:37:27  Show Profile
Ian,

Tanks for that info.

Mike

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked