Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Crankshafts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2018 :  20:26:09  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm trying to arrange a new crankshaft and rods for my J2 in a reasonably timely fashion, ideally I was after a phoenix crank but it seems that’s not going to happen any time soon.

A number of people here in NZ have had Allens cranks fitted and have spoken highly of them, only catch is they were all fitted years ago and no one knows what they are like now. I’ve search the forum and can’t find anything covering Allens cranks. (only phoenix or the Belgium cranks)

Speaking to Allens the price is reasonable (well that’s relative, especially by the time you convert that back to NZD!) and the time frames are fairly quick.

So I thought before I placed my order I’d see if any of the learned folk here had any advice, experience or input on Allens cranks and rods?

Thanks,
Daniel

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2018 :  10:04:14  Show Profile
Strange that no one has replied to you yet, Daniel. I have no personal experience of Gordon Allen cranks, but my understanding is that Allen made very good cranks about 20 years ago and when he retired, his business was taken over by Phoenix, who are now the main source of MMM crankshafts in the U.K.
I will make a few enquiries this week-end and will reply further next week.
Watch this space, as they say.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 24/04/2018 10:05:21
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  23:07:11  Show Profile
Thanks Colin, appreciated.

This is the company I had spoken too - https://allenscrankshafts.co.uk/ maybe a completely different company to what was Gordon Allen cranks. Would interesting though if that was part of Phoenix as their price is about 500GBP cheaper.

Will look forward to seeing what you find out.

Cheers,
Daniel
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  10:32:05  Show Profile
Very, very interesting Daniel. They certainly make very handsome crankshafts. I will write again next week

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  21:19:42  Show Profile
Daniel,

Have a look at https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06662056/officers

This company has been known variously as Laystall Crankshafts, Midlands Crankshafts and Allens Crankshafts.

The proprietor is a chap named Sharma - he seems to be the only Director now.

I think Sharma used to work for Gordon Allen. I have one of the original Gordon Allen cranks (and rods) in my J2. It was obtained through a chap by the name of Derek Davis (or Davies).

This was close on 40 years ago and the engine is nearly finished (mustn't rush these jobs!).

Perhaps you would like to e-mail me directly to jj@ttypes.org

Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2018 :  19:57:37  Show Profile
Daniel I am also interested in a crankshaft. Can you give me a call 022368318 (NZ)
Pat
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
63 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2018 :  20:41:18  Show Profile
Thanks John, handy information. I have dropped you an email.

Pat, will give you a call tonight.

Cheers,
Daniel
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2018 :  09:12:49  Show Profile
Dear All

Please let us know the solution, I know someone who won't fit a new one because of price and is looking for a useable old one... despite my advice!!!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2018 :  09:16:05  Show Profile
There was mention at Brand this weekend that it's important to know in advance that suitable con rods and shells can be sourced for these cranks.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2018 :  11:45:35  Show Profile
Daniel (NZ..Monty). Spoke to lots of people at Brands Hatch yesterday, and I am sending you a Personal Email via the Website. Please let me know if it doesn't get through to you.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000