Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis numbering
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  20:53:19  Show Profile
During a conversation yesterday the question when during the production process were chassis numbered? My father purchased a replacement chassis for P1815 Reg No MG3880 in 1940, would the replacement have been numbered?

Richard
PA1733 YA5206

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  04:30:55  Show Profile
Evening Richard,

During production, the chassis were stamped right at the beginning of the production line, when the next chassis plate, pre-engraved with the chassis number, was wired to the frame, taken from a pile, delivered unstamped from the chassis manufacturers (of which there were more than one).

As for replacement chassis, that is a different situation with which I'm not familiar with the process, but my guess is that, if a replacement chassis were required from the works, then it would have been stamped before despatch, with the same number as the frame to be replaced. I doubt, at the time in 1940, that anyone would have had any heartburn about there being two chassis out there with the same number. Or perhaps, if someone can confirm, chassis numbers supernumary to the original production run were issued? I doubt that.

Do you own MG 3880 by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  10:28:40  Show Profile
Hello Richard

I fear that the car has become untraceable - back in the 70s the Register wrote to the then owner (a Mr. Cooper of Ongar, Essex) but no reply was ever received. However the DVLA still has MG 3880 listed as a March 1935 MG - colour green and 847cc. So we presume it is 'out there somewhere'.

As for replacement chassis, other more knowledgeable folk may wish to comment, but we do know of several instances where replacements were issued by the Works un-numbered!

I'll contact you off line about the car.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 13/08/2018 10:45:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000