Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fitting axle to springs?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  17:49:07  Show Profile
Can someone tell me the definitive way of fitting an axle to springs. https://youtu.be/ZAYIz5BLKm8 It looks straight forward, even not having bump stops fitted whilst at Abingdon. But with two inches of gap to try and compress and using standard S and V and original U bolts it’s not happening and my pea sized brain albeit a fully City and Guilds one can not see the wood for the trees, seems ratchet straps, brute force and ignorance are the criteria or the making of three inch longer U bolts.
I suspect the bump stops were put on after the body etc was on, hence a slot head screw so as to use a right angled Screw driver.
Please, help needed, thought of straps at an angle and mess up the paintwork and then trying to get the location correct not only for U bolts but for the hanger pin, well it has been a head scratcher in fact few hairs left.
Ash

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  21:06:54  Show Profile
Mine bolted together no problem using S&V u bolts, have you compressed the spring first using the bottom plate that the damper connects to and the small spacer plate between spring and axle mount? should be two studs each side.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  13:20:31  Show Profile
Rich,

Thank you, this is what I am up against

This is Colin, he works with me in the “motor house” and knows more than I do re old cars and I am sure can sort the springs out

Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  16:02:50  Show Profile
And has Colin tried it without the round object under the axle?

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  17:48:12  Show Profile
It’s hard for Colin and I, he only speaks Japanese and is left handed, well left hoofed so he’s not much use really, will have to get another stuffed animal to help in the future any suggestions
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  18:04:08  Show Profile
A suggestion: Try putting a few bags of cement or something else heavy on the chassis to weigh it down, then, with care, jack up the axle from below, compressing the spring until you are able to wiggle the u-bolts in.

H & S warning on compressing springs applies.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  18:15:11  Show Profile
Spring set cannot be right.
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  18:16:54  Show Profile
Yes, it’s how it came off the car and every spring is stamped
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  18:23:43  Show Profile
Have spoken to two mates, both have J Types and they had to use ratchet straps, maybe the film was just a publishing to make it look easy. Now have SPG t help, amazing what hamsters can do https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spg+hamster&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHlZ2k0PncAhVITsAKHU5nDmoQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=fcLrRvMwi7XvAM:&isa=yhe makes a good cup of tea also
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  21:14:15  Show Profile
I had the same problem and concluded that those door buffers are too tall.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  22:22:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ashley

It’s hard for Colin and I, he only speaks Japanese and is left handed, well left hoofed so he’s not much use really, will have to get another stuffed animal to help in the future any suggestions

No don't do that it's too dear

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  23:00:07  Show Profile
Ashley,
Like Maurice, I had a similar problem with new springs during my PB rebuild, so used a lower profile (I think T Type) rubber rebound travel stop beneath the axle plus a spacer on top of the spring (photo shows unladen no bodywork condition hence minimal load to deflect the spring from it's 'free state' curvature) - a possible suggestion for you.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 19/08/2018 23:08:44
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  23:08:59  Show Profile

I can't really help you with this one Ashley.
My lad fitted my axle for me, and won't divulge how he did it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  23:13:00  Show Profile
Ought this topic be in the Technical Forum?
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  05:34:17  Show Profile
No, Gordon says leave it on this and my new recruit
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gordon+the+gopher&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjng7rl5vrcAhWrAcAKHRTnAsAQ_AUIESgB&biw=1024&bih=666&dpr=2#imgrc=7HJ6TaFx-QrPRM: As a spring expert
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  05:55:34  Show Profile
Lovely photo mate and thank you for lacing my springs Luca is a super boy and great to meet at Prescott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000