Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fitting axle to springs?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

frederick wheeler

France
42 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  08:39:42  Show Profile
Go to B&Q and buy some M8 threaded rod and 4 M8 nuts and washers. Make up two U bolts long enough to reach through the spring plate, the rod bends very easily by hand. You only need one for each side of the axle .
Pull up the springs in the usual way until you can fit the proper u bolts. This is what I had to do and it worked very well.

f wheeler
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  10:07:37  Show Profile
Hi Fred, yep done that, made the mistake of fitting the bump stops fiirst, this combined with not fitting hangers/ camps to the axle which takes another issue out of the way, think the film was a little poetic licence. The springs are set correctly, I bought a new leaf one from Jones to match so that was not the issue. Unless the bump stops are fitted after they can not be the correct ones, however both of my J2s have them fitted and exactly the same
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  12:15:09  Show Profile
A good topic. I will move it to Technical once it has run its course.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2018 :  17:05:22  Show Profile

Ashley

I didnt lace the springs at all - the little guy did it.

...Got to get him earning his crust or he'd be on the PS4 all day
and a teenager before his time

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  10:32:57  Show Profile
I think the "little guy" should be writing an article on lacing. Looks excellent. Good job his dad wasn't involved!
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  17:05:01  Show Profile
While on the subject of springs I recently replaced the front bolts on my J2 as the originals had seen better days.I found the ones S & V supplied (3 1/4inch if I remember) were too long and ran out of thread,so ended up packing them top and bottom with washers.

David
J 3355
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2018 :  13:06:51  Show Profile
David 3 1/4 inches is the correct length. Do you have the original extra support bars two for each mounting and also are you using locking half nuts as original ?
The problem discussed above is quite usual and easily resolved either by clamping the springs down or using temporary long studs as F Wheeler describes. The springs will soon settle in use. The bump stop in one of the photos is too deep as Cymber says. If you go to an exhaust fitter or parts shop you can buy what I recall is a mini exhaust fitment for about a pound. It is a round rubber section with a stud either end. Cut it in half and you have two perfect bump stops.

TH
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2018 :  20:18:30  Show Profile
Terry
Now I am confused. The bolts I have replaced were on the car when I bought it in 2005 and have held the springs to the front axle without problem ever since! I suspect they have probably been there since the car was restored mid 80s. They were 2 1/2in long from under the head. The axle has a top plate as part of it and the bolts clamp the springs with a separate bottom plate. I only replaced the bolts because I was not entirely happy with the state of some of the threads. I used the flat packing washers I mentioned and a final spring washer. There was only a spring washer before.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2018 :  20:52:32  Show Profile
David,
Are you sure that when your J2 was restored in the 80's that the correct springs were used? According to Blower you should have 7 leaves:
5 x 3/16
1 x 5/32
1 x 7/32
then as Terry says, as well as the top and bottom plates there are usually two extra bars that go across the width of the spring to give some extra support. The ones on my P and N are 1/4 thick, and I think that they are original.
Is this what you have?
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2018 :  21:23:42  Show Profile
Hi,
Chris Blood has some of the extra support bars on eBay at the moment for little money.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2018 :  19:43:24  Show Profile
Thanks Paul and Gary.

Yes it has 7 leaf springs but I haven't measured them. The answer appears to lie in the absence of the extra support bars,and therefore I am contacting Chris Blood. The extra thickness would remove the need for my collection of flat washers.

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2018 :  22:53:42  Show Profile
Hi gents and thank you Garry. I have indeed made a batch of these strengtheners for my 3 TC's primarily but if you check in the BW brown catalogue and the newer Moss mags these are and have been used extensively from 1930 (all fitted to my D-type) through to 1949 on the TC's to provide rigidity in the stacked leaf springs ...

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000