Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 head in M-type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  22:32:32  Show Profile
Has anyone put a J2 head on an M-type block and put it in an M-type?
Apart from the change in position of the water outlet in the radiator header tank and the exhaust manifold /carbs on opposite sides - is this conversion feasible and more-importantly - worthwhile from performance point of view?
Mike Armstrong

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2008 :  14:42:47  Show Profile
In the absence,so far,of a respose tot his query - as an alternative - does anyone have, or know of, a J2 engined M-Type?
Thanks in anticipation. Mike
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2008 :  15:11:54  Show Profile
You will need to increase the stud size to 3/8" and from memory there is some slight difference in the water passages, but I don't think that matters. Otherwise, short answer is yes, you can. My brother had a J2 with an M-type/Minor block. Maybe this will prompt a fuller response elsewhere.

Re. performance increase: - Standard J head + twin carbs will definitely out-perform standard M-type set-up in the same car, but with a decent cam, manifold and carb and a bit (a lot) off the flywheel, an M-type head will give good surprisingly good performance in an M chassis.

If you do it, bear in mind the J2 had a bigger oil pump and a stronger clutch.

Oh, and you'll need a decent crank/rods...

Edited by - kimber on 21/02/2008 15:19:55
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2008 :  12:19:59  Show Profile
chassis shouldn't be a problem there is at least one MM chassis with a blown riley engine in it, might have to do something with the brakes!

Richard
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2008 :  14:08:30  Show Profile
Mike
The modification is quite simple - larger head studs etc..
The larger oil pump is a good idea and you might consider a J sump and I would think the radiator might need enlarging.
I would also move the fuel tank and fit an electric fuel pump - the standard tank and gravity feed are neither the safest or most suitable option with more horses!

My personal feeling is - dont go there!
The chassis an brakes of the M are just not up to the increase in power and torque.
M types are given to overturning more easily than most other MMM cars ( the underslung axles and floating shackle springs dont help), the high centre of gravity and top heavyness count against the car.
Tuned M types are more prone to tip over just by the fact of more power means more speed.

I had experience of Dave Carsons M type with a C type engine and that was too fast for its chassis!

Sorry to be less than positive - and it is only my opinion.
Dad always taught me that cars only go as fast as you prod the right hand pedal - but even he is of the opinion that the last thing an M type needs is more power.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2008 :  00:08:27  Show Profile
Thank you to all the respondents. I think I'll save the J2 head for a J2 and put the M-type bits where they belong.
Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000