Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 HOOD FRAME PIVOT
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  12:33:26  Show Profile
Have been out in the cold to have another look! My J2 was pretty much untampered with having been laid up 1955 to 2006 and the interior and fittings absolutely as original and there is no doubt that those blocks under the hood frame mounts were as fitted in 1933,the thickest part of the block is about 1" deep.
As regards the webbing,in fact on mine it only went from the rearmost bow and back round to the inside of the body tub back,with bolt through the tube to secure. There were no holes in the front bow.
Dimension from floor to mounting hole centre is 455mm(vertically)and from there to bottom edge of dash panel is 645mm. Simon.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1641 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  18:03:53  Show Profile
Sorry you guys but you are getting a bit hung up on precision. There were at least three different J2 bodies and two different J2 windscreens for starters. The last time I considered fitting a hood
( I never did bother they are terrible things !) I laid out all my own and a friends original hood frames on the floor and we discovered there were three different types of frame. They did not vary a great deal I seem to recall but this was at least 25 years ago so I am not sure of the exact variations now other than we thought that some of the centre bows were higher than others. It is correct that some frames were fitted using the wooden blocks. Possibly later frames were designed with longer side sections in order to fit without these.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  20:31:46  Show Profile
Does anyone have a pair of spare brackets used to secure the hood frame to the wheel arch?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

n/a

4 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  22:08:50  Show Profile
OK thanks everyone for all the information. Sorry to be so long, had the grandchildren here for Easter.
Useing google I found the triple m register bulletin for December 2003.There is a usefull sketch showing hood frame dimensions using this and data from my friend Ian Goddard who has a ex F1 (MG 1313)now fitted with what is in effect a j2 body tub, I have got my hood frame in place and it looks good. The dimensions are: pivot brackets are on the inner edge of wheel arch 10 inches up from the top of the door pillar. The frame when folded then sits nicely inside the body tub just foreward of where the body starts to taper in to the rear
When erected the frame measurements are: windscreen to front hoop 24 inches, front hoop to back hoop 13 inches, back hoop to top of back of body 19 inches.
It looks likely that these measurments can vary a bit without spoiling the overall profile of the finished hood.
The front hoop is approx above the drivers head with head room to spare, the hood rises slightly from windscreen to front hoop, then down very slightly to rear hoop, then sharply down to rear of car.

Regarding the brackets, my j2 is a swept wing and the wheel arches are almost horizontal so I don't need the packing pieces. Also the inside edge of the rear wing lies outside the line of the bracket, so I am screwing into the wheel arch metal, not the wing itself.

Regarding webbing I take the point about damp webbing stressing the windscreen. On my hood frame there are holes in the back hoop only, presumably for the back webbing, which will locate the hoop in the 19 inch dimension, but because the front hoop clicks into place by deseign of the lattice, in theory it does not need any webbing. Similaly is there any need for the webbing front hoop to the windscreen, surely the hood canvas will stop the frame folding backwards? I have a picture of MG 2064 with just the webbing up but his does clip on to the windscreen.

David Nudd here in Penzance is a very experienced car trimmer and he thinks we have got these dimensions about wright. Next job is cut the duck and make the hood!!!!

Also my brackets are at present temporary bits made up from scavengings from B&Q. I think stainlees steel will do for the permanent items.

As most cars now have been rebuilt at some time I guess that dimensions are bound to vary by an inch or two any way.

Charlie
By the way in 1958 I owned MG1313, then an F1, what a car!!!! but the j2 is nice, wish I could get the dynamo to charge!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000