Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Measurement between front axle beam and bumpstop
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  15:11:47  Show Profile
Could someone please tell me the measurement between the top of the front axle beam and the rubber bump stop ie the space when the car is on the road for the PA/PB or alternatively the space between underside of chassis frame and top of axle.
On my car the clearance to the bump stop is 1 inch and I am wondering if this is correct.
Many thanks for your help.

Gordon

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  15:52:31  Show Profile
Gordon
on my P type measurement for beam to bump stop is 1 1/8 inch
for beam to underside of frame it is 2 3/4 inch

David
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  19:19:25  Show Profile
David
Many thanks for that info. It is a great help.
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  12:34:37  Show Profile
Following Davids measurements here are mine:beam to bump stop = 3/4" and beam to underside of frame = 2 7/16.
I have also had a private communication from another P type owner who gives his dimensions as beam to bump stop is 7/8" and beam to chassis frame of 2". So clearly there are differences in bump stop heights as well.
New ones are availabele from Sports & Vintage and are about 1" high and Barry Walker has them also but are 1 1/2" tall!
It looks to me as though the clearance between stop and axle should be around 1 to 1 1/2" inches. Anyone got any ideas?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  17:38:14  Show Profile
My PA was dismantled in the early sixties and bought by me as a pile of rusty bits in 1972. I haven't changed either the front springs or bumpstops, so they are probably original.

The bumpstops are 1 1/2" high, and the distance from the axle beam to the bumpstop is 1 1/8".

This ties in fairly well with David's measurements.

I've never measured how much the front springs flex, but if I were buying new bumpstops, I think I'd go for the 1" high variety to maximise possible spring movement.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000