Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Diamonds in the rough
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  21:33:28  Show Profile
OK Nick. It/they are in the loft and in 30C+ I won't be going up there for a while!
It may be I only have the one already on site. Let's hope,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  21:35:35  Show Profile
Adrian, looking at this second photo, the windscreen pillars behind the 18/80 make me think of an L Salonette?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  03:11:47  Show Profile
Both 18/80s are still with us and looking much healthier these days

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  08:30:28  Show Profile
Dave.

I thought it was an L salonette too. I know Terry had one at his home, I think it was North Chailet. About 1970 I stayed at his house overnight having gone down from York to see an F1 Salonette. The following morning we went out into his extensive, overgrown garden which was full of MGs to be shown his ‘ F1 salonette which disappointingly was a mere chassis frame propped up against a building ! I felt terribly let down having travelled a long way to see the ‘car’.It was then I saw the L salonette which was part restored, the body in grey primer. Terry showed me his collection of MG literature which was amazing.

We later went on up to his place in Greenwich, full of mouth watering spares.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  09:50:34  Show Profile
Having looked at the second picture it does suggest L Type Salonette.
The 1974 auction catalogue does list an L salonette, could it possibly be L0407 Reg ALE853 ??
Does the attached picture stir any further memories Chriss? I too remember the Bone Brothers and their yard in Greenwich.

Nice to see the pictures of the 18/80 survivors!
Cheers,
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  09:55:01  Show Profile

Mike.

It could be the same car ( probably was when you consider the rarity ) but when l saw it the body was in good, restored condition.

Cheers,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  09:59:45  Show Profile
Chris, Mike and Forum:

Is there a list/ catalog of the cars in the Bone Auction.?
Would be very interested in see it.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

amott

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  10:27:10  Show Profile
Another view.

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  11:05:50  Show Profile
Just to add to the topic the attached is a copy of the rear page of the Bone Brothers catalogue and price list from July 1984. Pity the Registration numbers have been blanked off.

Adrian - would you mind if I post some of the photos to the file for each car with a credit to you?

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 09/08/2020 11:07:35
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  11:19:32  Show Profile
Hi Chris,
I think its very likley the same car. The photo looks like it was before any restoration had taken place. The auction catalogue refers to the car having been " The subject of many hours work" inc completely rebuilt chassis, and states that "The wings, dashboard and many other parts of the car are in very fine order."
The guide price was £700 and included the gearbox "but no engine engine and instruments"
cheers,
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

amott

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  11:51:00  Show Profile
No Problem George. I will see if I can locate the original neg files. Somewhere amongst 50years of professional photography archives!!
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

Just to add to the topic the attached is a copy of the rear page of the Bone Brothers catalogue and price list from July 1984. Pity the Registration numbers have been blanked off.

Adrian - would you mind if I post some of the photos to the file for each car with a credit to you?

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  11:54:20  Show Profile
Hi John,
Yes, Here are pictures of the cover and page 1 and another picture of a very dilapidated WL6144.
I will try to copy the whole thing at some point unless someone else beats me to it.

Cheers,
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  13:01:00  Show Profile
Mike and Forum:

Thank-you for posting the present batch of photos.
If there are more ; please post as time allows.
The complete catalog would be useful too.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

amott

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  15:53:30  Show Profile
Another car that was for sale at the time!!

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  17:26:05  Show Profile
Well well well that is my first J2. I know that I purchased it from a man in Lewes in Sussex but did not think it was Barry or Terry. I did ask Barry at one stage and he did not recall selling the car. After my ownership it passed through a couple of people in the UK and then went abroad in the early seventies. The only thing we knew was that it had gone to Switzerland.
A few weeks ago I noticed on the Register of cars that it had been sold in 2013 and John E kindly put the new owner in touch with me. He sent me a 2013 photo and the car still looked the same as above. It is however now stripped and undergoing a full rebuild.
Incredible how information can emerge.
Thanks for posting the picture.
Terry

TH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000