Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PLC2 Switch
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  03:37:16  Show Profile
Does anyone have any knowledge of the "proper" color of the bezel of a PLC2 Ignition/Lighting switch on a PB? It is the style that is engraved with the lettering Lo/Hi/Side/Head. The bezel is chromed, but I wonder whether the center is painted brown or is left plain chrome. If chrome, does the inner portion have a slightly matte finish or shiny like the outer rim of the bezel?

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  09:55:12  Show Profile

My PA has the switch where the OFF,1, etc., appear in a window ( As in the Phaidon 'Dashboards' book ISBN 0-7148-3863-2 ) and the centre painted area is brown, with every appearance of being the original paint from Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

The original spec., of course, could well vary from car to car in the days where small components were sourced by the factories in small batches as required, for cars to individual order, rather than every car being to mass-produced pattern as today. It is a truism to say that every vehicle from most factories of the 'twenties and 'thirties differed from its fellows.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:50:10  Show Profile
My MMM knowledge of the PLC ignition lighting switch has always been ROTAX in a brown colour for J and the P, it has OFF D S H in white. The one you describe LUCAS started with the TA - TB in black. The TC - TD LUCAS had OFF S H. My understanding is, the window type was not used in the MG sports car range.

As the ROTAX is so hard to get now I would use as an alternative the PLC2 but paint it brown to match the other instruments. But who knows with production oddities, the TA -TB type PLC2 may have been used in black on the last PB's.

The handles are different also.

Regards

Rod Brayshaw NZ
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  00:32:20  Show Profile
I agree that this particular switch is more commonly found on the TA and TB. However, mine is a somewhat late PB, and an Airline Coupe at that. I have several pieces of evidence that it may have been fitted early in life with a TA charging system, so the switch, although recently purchased (thanks Harry Pyle), is appropriate.

The knob is already brown, so brown it will become.

Thanks

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  10:37:52  Show Profile

Using the car's photo record and an assortment of magnifying lenses - which my late editor, Bob Currie, reckoned was the historian's essential aid - I have traced the arrival of the 'window' switch on PA 0603 to after 1956 and before 1959.

Since this switch has been there for most of the car's life, should I replace it or keep it?
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:41:57  Show Profile
As Registrar of the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand I am often asked this question about many components on a vehicle. My opinion is usually what suits the present owner of the vehicle. Some owners must have their vehicle as original as it left the factory; others are content with a functional item that is similar to the original.

I do alter my opinion when a vehicle is historically significant where a famous owner added or subtracted parts to suit his use at the time. Present owners should try to preserve it that way.

In a concours competition the components that are not original will or should be marked down accordingly on a vehicle that is not historically important but for a vehicle that is used and enjoyed then its owners choice.

The only provision I have is when present owners allow their vehicles to be photographed for books that are intended for a wide audience should attempt to present their vehicle in an as original state as possible or insist the author describes the non original features in the text so that future generations of new owners of our vehicles have accurate reference material. There are too many mistakes in past books already.

Thats our view in the NZ VCC, other clubs and countries may have their own views.

Rod Brayshaw NZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000