Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sudden death of Mike Ellis
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  13:11:57  Show Profile
It is with the deepest regret I have to announce the sudden death yesterday of Mike Ellis.
He was very well known in MG circles, having owned and restored many models over 40years.
He had many friends and was always willing to offer advice and help.

He will be very badly missed in the MG world.

If you wish to get in touch with me my Email address is:

rbbprchrd@aol.com

Bob Prichard

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:12:20  Show Profile
Mike will be sadly missed - his sense of fun and expertise was always welcome too.

Good bye Mike rest in MMM heaven!

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  15:39:44  Show Profile
I am very saddened to learn of this news. Only a few weeks ago, following a long exchange of information, I visited Mike's house. He spent the best part of 2 hours with me, rivetting a data plate onto my J type rocker box, for which he would take no payment in return. His enthusiasm and knowledge will be sorely missed.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:14:26  Show Profile
I an probably one of the last persons to be savaged by Mike in these pages (aluminium rocker spacers via B & Q). He subsequently corresponded with a number of times using my personal email address and he couldn't have been more polite, friendly or helpful.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:57:35  Show Profile
Bob

Mike will be sadly missed by all.

May I suggest you write a piece for the Triple-M Bulletin?

George
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  19:53:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by talbot

I an probably one of the last persons to be savaged by Mike in these pages (aluminium rocker spacers via B & Q). He subsequently corresponded with a number of times using my personal email address and he couldn't have been more polite, friendly or helpful.

Jan T

Jan I suffered a similar experience with Mike, over the use of a Bosch 009 distributor. Like you I ended up communicating with Mike by email when I found him to be very helpful and friendly. I was very much looking forward to meeting with him which is not now possible. A great loss to the MMM community and even greater for his family.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 09/05/2008 19:54:14
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  20:15:28  Show Profile

R.I.P. Mike.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  23:33:46  Show Profile
Thank you for your messages

my dad was the most amazing person I have ever known.

I promised him as he left me that I would continue where he left
off. I will finish his collection of cars and use them as he had intended.

He was very passionate about MGs which he passed onto myself.

I like to think of him driving MMM heaven telling people that that bolts wrong or this should be like this. he was a stickler for originality.

He will be greatly missed

Tim

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  18:56:56  Show Profile
Tim, I just returned form holiday and saw this posting, I have never met your dad but I had a lot of fun crossing emails with him I promised to buy him a pint an have a chin wag when we met sadly that will never happen,( he did tell me that he diden't drink beer) If he was anything like may dad you will never get over the loss but it get easer as time goes by and the memories get sweeter. my deepest sympathy to you and your family. I will miss his wit.

Rodney.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  13:06:28  Show Profile
Viv, Tim & Catherine

I have known Mike for over 30 years. Although we lived in different parts of the country and some 250 miles apart we have helped each other out over the years. I first met Mike, I think at one of the Steve DearĘs Cheddar meetings. (For these who remember these meetings in the 1970Ęs they were the meeting to go to, to get advice.) Mike was restoring a P type 4 seater and I was starting out on my Triple-M restoration adventures. Mike was one of the first people I had met who helped me on my way with sound advice. Over the years I started to make some parts which Mike used and he helped me with spares also. We both acquired N type 2 seaters about the same time. Mike beating me to the N type he bought but another one turned up shortly after. His car had been partly restored but there were things wrong with it. My car was mostly dismantled and the rear of the body was very original. We visited each other on a few occasions. He came to take measurements from my car, I went to visit him for similar reasons. If we needed anything we would check if the other need the same item and we would settle up with each other at Silverstone or Stoneleigh etc. Between us we gathered a lot of information. Of course there were ōdebatesö or the rights or wrongs of what we were doing. But you could have a sound reasoned debate with Mike on most things. This for me is what the MG Car Club and the Triple-M scene is all about. In our search for answers to the N type 2 seater questions I have viewed many cars. On one occasion Mike and I visited Tony RawlinsonĘs car confirming some seating details. I have a photo of Mike in what I would like to think was very typical of the man.

Through this web site I think there are many who became Mikes pen pals but have no idea about who he was. When I was in Belgium this year the younger generation of Triple-M owners were keen to learn more so Cathelijne Spoelstra and others asked me if I knew Mike which of course I did. So this influence was truly international!

So Mike will be sorely missedąą. Good buy mateąą.Terry

(Nick, I have a photo of Mike in a typical situation which I think would be a fitting tribute to him if it is appropriate to be loaded on the web site somewhere.)
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2008 :  20:39:16  Show Profile
Mike wrote a very good article for the 1996 yearbook - actually he wrote it for the 1995 yearbook (I think Terry Andrews probably 'recruited' him for me as '95 was my first effort in the role of YB editor) I used to try to balance anecdotal with historical and technical articles, and in my need to trim the material available, Mike's article was postponed to the following year - he was not amused! Glad to say, all was well when it finally saw light of day the following year... Its a good, nostalgic, look at Triple-M car ownership in years gone by, including the rediscovery of the Cream Cracker TJ 5000, carrying things right up to the then current date (1993, anyway)

Like others, I always enjoyed his comments, practical and otherwise, as they always brought a smile (priceless...) and send my condolences to his loved ones.

Graham
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  15:08:32  Show Profile
I always looked forward to a conversation with Mike on my UK visits. This fine gent will be missed. Condolences to the family.

tommm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000