Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 flywheel fixing bolts - warning
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2008 :  08:47:18  Show Profile
having had to pull the flywheel off the M (oil leak from the banjo) I found that 2 of the heads of the fixing bolts had cracked off, these are the early small diameter bolts which were new from one of the well known suppliers only a few thousand miles ago.

both bolts were seated correctly and showed the same failure with 1/3 of the head cracked off.

On my M as it suffers from abuse I have 8 fixing bolts 4 being the later large diameter bolts so in my case there was no risk of the flywheel coming off the crank flange.

Richard

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2008 :  01:00:53  Show Profile
Richard,

Very concerning.

This is the second case I have heard recently about critical remade parts breaking - the first, and more serious, was a steering ball joint, luckily at 0 mph. This is unacceptable, assuming you didn't overtighten them! Do you know the material used? What drawing are they made to? What is the underhead radius? Do they have rolled or cut threads? Was any heat treatment used/necessary and was it appropriate? Lots of questions...I hope you are having a chat with the supplier.

Your experience is the reason I no longer buy important bolts and nuts if the supplier cannot give me a material and design specification, preferring to spend more תתת and go to LAS Aerospace Ltd (or similar) who can supply aircraft parts with a Certificate of Conformity to a known design and specification (typically A25) from traceable batches.

John R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000