Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1934 - 4 seater body - £5k
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  21:08:13  Show Profile
Jeremy. 95% certain that the car Tony M had with I F S was not a single seater . It was cream in colour with red painted wishbones . I have a transperancy of it somewhere .
I will have to dig deep into my pictures and try and find it .
Quite willing to be corrected though . Age is a great memory bender .
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  21:22:51  Show Profile
You may be right Ray, though Tony did have J3751 & it did sport ifs
up until the early 60s. I'd be interested to see what you can dig up. JH
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2020 :  12:08:19  Show Profile
Jeremy. The photo l took at Silverstone in July 1961 was of I Richards driving a J3 .
Referring to your dad’s book l see that the car , firstly , had IFS fitted in 1938 , was sold to Tony in November 1961 and then converted back to a beam front axle and a s/s body fitted .
So , my error was thinking l had photographed Tony Merrick when it was I Richards with J3751 in I F S form .
My excuse is that it was almost 60 years ago after all !.
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  13:18:16  Show Profile
I acquired the body of K0433, at one time Peter Mace's K1. I am reusing the scuttle top, tool boxes and fittings with which it came. The frame itself was beyond repair and once unpanelled the new one had to be reskinned. I am "reusing" the body - but necessarily in only a limited fashion. I don't like cars being broken apart - but let's be a little pragmatic as well as very enthusiastic.

We are on this forum because we love MG's but nothing happens without one of us reaching into our pockets. Barry Walker I recall pointed out on the forum that no one wanted to buy K0433 to restore as a K1. K3's are fantastic cars and great value and K1's have much less appeal. The typical 90 year old wooden framed car body has next to no utility. A K1 body does not add value in the way that say almost any Bugatti woodwork would.

I hope I am not inviting a forum flurry on originality - Peter Green sold me my K1 chassis because he trusted me to use not chop it and turn a profit - but even our old cars or parts of them do reach the end of their road.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  14:23:08  Show Profile
Paul,

Point made about the body you have. It does however look as though Onno's suggestion of K0390 as the subject of this thread is probably correct. If this is indeed the case, looking at the pics on the web site, someone had restored the car as a K1 4 seater so, unless proved otherwise, the body is in fairly good condition.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  16:03:41  Show Profile
Paul
Perhaps I misunderstood?
K3’s are very expensive cars (calling them good value is another discussion) with an affordable body style
K1’s are beautiful very appealing cars but rather expensive to restore.
The result is a lot of not K3’s on a K1 chassis, not affordable K3’s right?

Great job rebuilding a K1!

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  11:29:01  Show Profile
I wanted to make two points. One was a correction to the earlier reference to my reusing the body of K0433 as a precedent of reuse. It is only being reused to a very limited extent. The second and I know challenging to some is that K1's are of limited appeal compared to K3's or K3 replicas. I acquired the K0433 body because no one wanted to buy the whole car to restore.
I will not speculate about the K1 red body but anyone thinking of acquiring it is welcome to contact me for detail of what to look for.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000