Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1934 - 4 seater body - £5k
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  20:28:39  Show Profile
I absolutely support your view Chris and I have no problem at all with someone doing as you did and breathing life into a pile of parts. What I cannot approve of is the taking of a sound, and quite rare in it's own right, car like the one time Peter Mace K1(Peter was NOT involved in this) and stripping it for the purpose.
Whether or not Onno has found the correct car in K0390, and it certainly looks quite possible that he has, the state of this body suggests the dismemberment of a good K1 Tourer and it does upset me.
In the case of Peter's car I believe the body found a new home with someone who was doing as Chris Nowlan was suggesting. Lets hope it happens again!
In an ideal world the would be K3 owner would have found the bodyless chassis and this body would have remained where Abingdon put it nearly 90 years ago.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  21:35:01  Show Profile
Dave and Chris I wholly support that view that you do not cut up a perfectly fine example to turn in to a repro.
And I can not guarantee I found “the car” but could not find a more matching example (would love to be proven wrong)

One note to the repro brigade.
Why not make that bare chassis you find a special?
No need to copy what has been done just make it suit your needs in the best home made special/coach build tradition
All the fun for most likely less money

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  23:28:32  Show Profile
Taking your last comment one step further Onno, there are firms that will build a chassis frame for you. If it's not going to be the "real thing", do you need a genuine K chassis, would you not be just as well off with a brand new one? In the overall cost of building the car, by the time you've deducted the cost of buying the genuine article, it might not cost an enormous amount more?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  07:48:27  Show Profile
It is the macho K3 image...
and the desire to race with the VSCC lot.

And the rules: that requires original cars to be used
And presumably that allow modified cars to be used

But then they are only toys, I am ashamed to say...

Happy 2021!
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  08:05:21  Show Profile
Dave,
I understand original chassis being used because you otherwise cannot register it on the road.
It might indeed be cheaper.

Peter,
You’d be surprised how little people dare to race their “race car”
I do however admire all the owners of proper cars racing them, as I have seen at least 5 of the original 33 on track recently!

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  08:51:16  Show Profile
In answer to PeterLs suggestion that people build K3 replicas with a desire to race with the VSCC , I must say that the VSCC is tightening up on the eligibility rules and 'new' K3s are likely to be classified as 'Specials' . Far better to have kept the car as original and race it in the Standard class. VSCC are taking a very dim view of those breaking up an original car to make something more sporting ( and valuable ) and have recently refused renewal of membership to a chap that turned a perfectly good and original Amilcar saloon into a purely money-making venture .
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  11:43:16  Show Profile
Great news Fred!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6125 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  12:16:12  Show Profile
The pomposity of the VSCC knows no bounds. I’m reminded of the chap here in Norn Iron some years ago who was apparently refused membership of the VSCC on the spurious grounds that he - wait for it - had the temerity to buy and sell 'vintage' cars in a private capacity. Not a 'Dan Margulies' you understand, just an ordinary bloke doing a bit of dealing. I wonder how many cars racing in VSCC events are actually new, built from scratch, but their owners are important chaps so everything is quietly brushed under the carpet.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  14:18:08  Show Profile
OH DEAR! 2021... stop talking and USE the blxxdy cars as they were expected to be used by CK Getting my Hogwarts book out to cast a spell ... make is so Number 1.
WIZARD OF FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  12:39:12  Show Profile
Just been told off ... spelling mistake and I should have mis-quoted the captain's command....
" make it so Old Number One."
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  15:24:35  Show Profile
If by 'pompous' it is meant that the Vintage Sports Car Club strives to preserve our motoring heritage , then I am all for it and must assume I am pompous as well ( don't say anything , Foz !) . And I simply do not believe that the VSCC would refuse membership to an Ulsterman , simply because he has bought and sold some vintage cars . Furthermore I cannot recall a single 'new' car , built from scratch that is racing with the VSCC , owned by an important chap or fellow peasant. Long live the VSCC !
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  16:16:30  Show Profile
Hello, Fred .

I agree with everything you say except your last but one sentence.
Have you not heard of the Tony Merrick E.R.A.?

Regards,

Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 28/12/2020 16:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  17:19:45  Show Profile
Chris , I understand that the 13th ERA was built using original ERA parts from Bourne , but used a reproduction chassis. It was built with the sanction of the HGPDA . I am sure it had new wheels , etc , but the main mechanical parts were factory items.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  18:45:13  Show Profile
It is of course badged AJM and is a tribute to the skill of the late Tony Merrick who died just before Christmas .
I remember Tony racing a J2 with independent front suspension , Fiat l think , in the late 1950s or early 60 s before he moved onto driving Sandy Murray’s ERA to great effect.
His recently published book will be , I’m sure , a great read .I’m saving up for it !.

Edited by - Ray Masters on 28/12/2020 18:46:29
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  20:14:50  Show Profile
J3751 Ray, the s/s that Malcolm Beer has & Bruce won the MHT in 1964 - the year I was born#128563;

Edited by - JMH on 28/12/2020 20:15:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000