Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Pedal holes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  07:55:51  Show Profile
Does anyone have an answer why one often sees holes drilled in the pedals (the plate where the shoe presses against)? Sometimes more than one hole, sometimes only one. Surely they didn't leave the factory this way and was wondering what the reason was if any?

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  10:51:51  Show Profile
At a guess: -

One or two holes = For the attachment of wooden blocks for the vertically challenged Triple-M-iste.

OR

Lots of holes - for the fanatic wishing to reduce overall weight of car.

Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  11:24:22  Show Profile
Andrew,

When you say for the vertically challenged did you mean MG Midget

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  19:57:44  Show Profile
Good humour.

If only one pedal is drilled, possibly one leg longer than the other..or requiring further travel on the blocked pedal?

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  23:54:47  Show Profile
The Musketeer driver, Archie Langley, had wooden blocks on his pedals! In the Light Car magazine of March 5 1937, The Blower borrowed Aramis for a week's road testing. His final paragraph reads:

Some lucky man is going to buy Aramis. Just one word in his ear: unless his stature be in the region of 60ins he should do something about the wood blocks fitted to the control pedals, and also about the Tom Thumb driving position generally. Back at home I have a certain boiled shirt, neatly articulated across the starched front - evidence of what happens when a bigger man than Archie Langley goes on a spree in Archie Langley's car.

In addition to the pedal blocks, the boss of his 3-spoke steering wheel was fitted with an inch spacer, and is still with the car.

John R
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  11:48:22  Show Profile
My M-type (found in a shed in London in the 1990's) had round rubber pads attached to the clutch and brake pedals with a single central bolt (hence holes in the centre of each of these two pedals). My shoes are size nine, and it is hard enough to operate one pedal at a time with the standard set-up, so I quickly dispensed with the pads!
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  13:14:58  Show Profile
Hi John,

Any idea who 'The Blower' was? Was it perhaps H.S. Linfield? He entered a M-type for the 1931 Gloucester Trial and a C-type for the 1932 event and he did the regular road tests, but I don't know from the top of my head if this Linfield worked for the Light Car or for one of the other magazines.

Regards,
Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000