Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Clutch plate question
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2008 :  22:55:26  Show Profile
I am trying to fit a PB ratio gearbox to my PA. I believe that the box is ex-Wolseley/Morris. The innards are identical to MG except that it has a 10 spline 7/8" input shaft. I would like to source a splined clutch plate to suit. Any suggestions? Just a splined boss might suffice as I could possibly adapt it to fit my MG clutch plate I used a similar box in my other car although that one had a 10 spline 1" shaft. I used a TD clutch centre plate with that which fitted without too much modification.
Alternatively, does anyone have a spare PB/NB gearbox 6 spline input shaft?

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2008 :  08:25:26  Show Profile
Andrew,
I have been told that a Hillman Husky clutch plate should fit, although they must be a bit thin on the ground now.
Regards Ron
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2008 :  09:24:30  Show Profile
Thanks for that, Ron. I'll make some enquiries.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  02:26:13  Show Profile
Kimber,

There is a notation at the bottom of page 27 of the old Barry Walker cat. which reads:

Should your gearbox "1st motion shaft be non original with 10 splines instead of 6 you can replace the centre of your driven plate with a 10 splined centre from a "Triumph Vitesse" clutch.

Don't quote me, I'm just the messenger.

As a matter of interest what numbers are stamped on the gearbox in question?

Brian

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 29/06/2008 02:38:47
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2008 :  11:55:35  Show Profile
Brian,

I've got a Wolsley box with synchro on two gears. It looks like a J2 one but the middle section is a little longer to accommodate the synchro cones. The number on the centre casing is 18999 110. It has a six spline input shaft

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  09:33:25  Show Profile
I can recommend National Auto:

http://www.national-auto.co.uk/

For 10 splines 7/8 dia shaft 71/4 inch diameter. They suggest part number NBD1316 (Austin A35) fits the bill, but we do not stock them anymore. We offer a ôrecon and returnö service with this, and many other obsolete references.

Should be easy to obtain an A35 clutch

Would be interested how you get on.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  14:59:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

Andrew,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this query or did Jan help you out?

Brian

Brian

I did resolve it but the soultion was fiddly and not recommended. There are doubtless easier methods.

I found that a Ford 10 clutch floating plate fitted exactly - too well, in fact. I had to needle file the splines to get the thing to float nicely, which took ruddy ages. I then ended up removing the boss from the Ford plate and rivetting it in place of my MG one which was tricky as they have a different number of rivets and there was a hole-spacing issue.

Anyway, it got done and works OK which I guess is the main thing.

The 'box has proven slightly dissapointing given the apparently excellent condition of gears and all new bearings. The sloppy old PA box was much nicer, but the ratios weren't as good.

Edited by - kimber on 24/06/2009 15:00:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000