Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 David Taylor (ARH 701)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  14:31:29  Show Profile
I have been following the posts on this Forum and elsewhere about David Taylor and his magnificent L special ARH 701.It is with great sorrow that I have to inform you that David passed away in January 2020. Sadly none of us knew of this at the time. David was a great guy, a highly skilled engineer, an extremely capable driver and a good friend to many of us.
David will be greatly misssed, we salute you. Our belated condolences to his widow Jean.
Alan Grassam

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  19:10:49  Show Profile
How very sad that David has passed away. He was quite involved in running the Register in the North where he was area representative for the Register.

David certainly enjoyed using his L special which always went well and sounded magnificent. I last saw the car at VSCC Prescott many years ago.

George
L2023.
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  16:59:56  Show Profile

I first met Dave Taylor soon after being involved with the new Lincolnshire centre when I had my first modern Midget. We all envied his L, until the crank broke. I don't think he ever repaired it though he did start making a crank from billet.
Later, in 1989, I was at the Beaulieu MGCC gymkhana with my son Harvey and the J3, when I "lent" Harvey to Dave as he didn't have a passenger for his Midget. We came second,but I do not recall that Dave was placed. This photo, though not "triple M", typifies Dave's attitude to material things. His L was never pampered but always went well. RIP.
David J3768

Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  14:18:37  Show Profile
In the 60's, early 70's David was convinced that his L was a "missing" K3.
He was most upset when the Register wouldn't agree with him !
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2021 :  22:50:11  Show Profile
I see that this car sold today for £74250 inc premium, that is serious money for a car needing a lot of work.

The spares also sold for big money including the pre-select gear boxes, the one with remote sold for £4725 and the 3 separate boxes made £5062. Amazing.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

Edited by - George Eagle on 22/05/2021 22:54:53
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2047 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2021 :  00:00:26  Show Profile

Thanks, George.

Who said MMM prices were slipping ? ENV preselectors are getting quite difficult to find so no surprise at the sale prices, especially the FG 38 MG box.
Do you know the identity of the box complete with the remote and bell housing ?
( sad to hear David had passed away.)
Regards,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
846 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2021 :  11:39:22  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about David. RIP.
Can anyone provide the link to the auction George was referring to .... I looked but I didn't see it,
thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2021 :  13:57:47  Show Profile
I have been advised by someone who was present that the winning bid was by telephone and as such we do not know the identity of the new owner. I do hope they get in touch with me.

If the new owner had wanted to re-unite the car with one of those pre-select gearboxes then they would have paid out close to £80000!

Dan, the auction results can be found at the Bonhams sale on 22nd of May at Bicester Heritage centre.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  10:16:01  Show Profile
The link for the auction results is

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26808/

George
Registrar F/L/N types and PBs.
Go to Top of Page