Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Book of Australian motoring historical stories
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2021 :  09:00:58  Show Profile
One fror our Australian friends...

When I was in Australia someone lent me a book, I enjoyed it so much I photocopied various chapters, each a separate saga. I still have The Bitumen, On to the Cape, The Road to Gundergai was Dusty, and The Road to Ruin but have lost the chapter on the race from Sydney to Melbourne which was probably the best...

I would love to find a copy of the book both for itself and also to remind me of some very happy times out there. Does anyone know the title so that I ca ask the eponymous Mr Abe to find it for me.

Fingers crossed. Many thanks

P

KevinA

New Zealand
676 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2021 :  09:41:26  Show Profile
One for the Road: Stories of Racetrack, Trials, Pioneer, Veteran, Vintage and Outback Motoring in Australia and New Zealand

Jack Pollard

Angus and Robertson, 1966 - Automobile driving - 255 pages

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2021 :  12:59:24  Show Profile
You star!

Ordered. I shall now have hours of wonderful reading.

I bought a Singer 8 Junior to play with in Australia and nearly got run over by one in Wellington!

Happy days.

Thanks Kevin

P
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2021 :  15:27:22  Show Profile
In similar vein there is also 'Wheels Across Australia - Motoring From the 1890s to the 1980s' by Pedr Davis (Marque Publishing 1987). Large format, copiously illustrated - a good general history of motoring in Australia, which gives a good overview of all the the long-distance stuff as well as an outline of the history of the Aussie motor industry, motor sport etc.

Not easy to find - unless you're as lucky as I was; I paid the princely sum of £1 for mine, thanks to a small charity shop who probably never expected to sell it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000