Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 R type tool room copy
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  18:55:13  Show Profile
I note Barry Walker is advertising the G Enoch built R type for sale.

The car was at the Summer Gathering last year. It is an amazing achievement to have produced a tool room copy.

George

https://www.barrywalker.com/1935-mg-r-type-race-car-for-sale/

Edited by - George Eagle on 03/03/2022 19:00:34

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  20:58:34  Show Profile
With a VSCC 'buff form', and possibly FIA HTP papers, could this fabulous motor car be entered in races as an "R Type"?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2022 :  21:47:46  Show Profile
Good question Simon!

George
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2022 :  12:32:25  Show Profile
Could we have an official view from the Committee on how this splendid motor car is to be categorised? I see from Barry W's advert that it has already being given the appellation “RA0261” but no doubt in time the quotation marks will disappear. I recall from my days on Committee a lengthy debate about whether or not to delist from the Register an M Type that had been fitted with a Morris Minor chassis at some point in the dim and distant past. The view that seemed to prevail was that if the chassis didn’t come from Abingdon, then it wasn’t an M.G. even if the chassis was virtually identical, albeit from another part of the Morris Group. (Heritage MGB shells, anyone?). I can’t say for sure what the outcome was but the same argument would apply in spades with this motor car.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2022 :  12:59:54  Show Profile
I hope it was not my fault: https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20510
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2022 :  14:06:44  Show Profile
I wouldn't have thought you'd need Committee guidance on this one Simon. Fantastic though it is; it's a new car, not an original, restored, or even reconstructed original remains with new replacement chassis. Precedent would suggest it's referred to as GE1 (like the "ERA" AJM1) & personally (note that) I feel it should be stamped & identifed as such. We should also welcome it racing/competing with MMM cars, but COTY, MHT etc? That surely would not fit with the principal function of The Register, which it to record & promote the use of surviving cars?

Edited by - JMH on 05/03/2022 14:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2022 :  16:22:01  Show Profile
Thanks, Jeremy, it’s good to have that reassurance as with the car having a 'buff form', potentially having HTP papers, and already being referred to, however casually, as “RA0261”, I think it’s important that the Register's position is clear and unequivocal.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2022 :  17:29:44  Show Profile
There are a number of cars competing in 'historic' races ( D type Jaguars , Lola T70 s etc ) that have been issued with FIA papers , even though they are 100% new and have been declared as such. Indeed, their acceptance has led to the resignation of an MSA scrutineer who found it awkward to accept that such cars did not contain the required safety items for modern cars and was worried how he would be treated at any subsequent inquest. I understand that factory-built 'continuation' cars such as lightweight E type Jaguars and Lister Jaguars are accepted at the Goodwood Revival meetings.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000