Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 steering wheel refurbishment
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2022 :  15:09:07  Show Profile
I have just had my steering wheel refurbished by A.R.P ltd Willie Mckenzie in Poole Dorset and he has done a superb job,the state of the wheel was to say the least rough the spokes were rusty pitted and had burst the black coating off in a number of places but the rim fortunately only had two small splits so i asked Willie to do a local repair on each one to maintain its patina which has worked well.As for the spokes he has made new one's in stainless steel polished like chrome and dipped in a fresh black coating even with the raised lip as original,i had bought a new boss off willie a couple of years ago so he has riveted that on and reattached it all back onto the rim.The result is a wheel that looks as new without looking too new,photo attached.I have no connection to A.R.P ltd just a very satisfied customer and thought that a job well done deserved recognition.
Chris

C L Wallis

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  17:01:37  Show Profile
Was the boss originally in this position ie with the spokes being vertical and horizontal. All the original solid four spoke wheels have had the spokes at an ‘x’ position relative to the boss logo

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  09:47:27  Show Profile
Rich
Yes the boss was in that position,if you look on members cars pictures J1 0601 Salonette you will see the wheel prior to me stripping the car,ignore the body style that was the previous owners DIY job.I have 2 other photos of solid spoke wheels identical to mine with the MG logo in the same position both are Salonette's J & F plus an email with a photo attached of the same wheel as mine courtesy of Sam Christie.May be it was a Salonette feature ?

Chris.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

Bill Abbott

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  10:37:19  Show Profile
Nice job - Thanks for posting

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  22:00:02  Show Profile
Interesting Chris, my car was a Salonette and with the badge rotated to 45 degrees. Is this MG lettering font height also correct. My original boss centre was more domed and with broader cast MG lettering.

Looks a nice rebuild job

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  08:17:50  Show Profile

This example was pictured on the Forum in October 2017.

Is it possible more than one version existed?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  12:39:35  Show Profile

This was the example on the salonette which recently appeared on eBay.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  21:39:41  Show Profile
Seems like they could be either then. Question answered, many thanks

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked