Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB Badge Bar
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  11:31:02  Show Profile
Hi MMM's

I have a PB that I have been rebuilding for ever!

The chassis dumb irons have been drilled for a badge bar, is there a standard bar for a P type, bearing in mind that the studding on the pedestals for the bar would have to be the same point to point as the drilling on my car.

I realise however, that the holes in the chassis may have been drilled by a previous owner and therefor not to a standard pattern.

I have not drilled holes in the front apron/valance so that I can keep my options open.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

Russ
PB0333

pinion

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  14:45:27  Show Profile
The original badge bar for the P type was mounted across the radiator,in line with the wing-stay-radiator bracket,through which it was secured.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2008 :  20:25:39  Show Profile

This type of bar is not a beautiful object and is also rather heavy.

It does brace the car a bit and is very useful for pushing the car about, thus avoiding starting the engine in case I wear it out.

The row of badges doesn't help with cooling but mine runs cold, on those very rare occasions when it fires up, so perhaps I must get the bar re-chromed.

In the war-time photos, PA 0603 / APP 186 had AA and JCC badges mounted, without a bar, on each side of the blower apron.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  11:36:50  Show Profile
Russ,

If you do not wish to fit the radiator type described above. It is difficult to know what you are talking about unless we know what the spacingÆs are of the holes. There are several possible answers.

1 A previous owner may have added the N type one.
2 A previous owner may have added the T type ones which have a similar base but not so tall and would look better on a P type. Both types have a tab to allow fitting of spot lights or horns in addition to the places found on the P wing brackets. These castings also allow for a tube to be connected between them to hold badges etc.
3 There were numerous badge bars offered by accessory shops and general traders.

Take a closer look at your MG reference books and see the difference between the N and T types bracket castings. A flick through any old ôClassic Carö book of the before 1980Æs and before we became more interested in ôoriginalityö and you will see examples of (3)!

Type (3) sees in various catalogues and at autojumbles.
Type (2) can be bought from Moss etc.
Type (1) I have made numerous times for my on cars and for others.

Regardsà.Terry
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2008 :  12:04:22  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies I will take Terry's advice and measure the point to point of the holes and then post my findings.

Thanks once again.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  08:33:34  Show Profile
I have followed Terry's suggestion and looked up various photos and I am sure that he is correct in assuming that the holes in my chassis are for a N type badge bar, I note from the photo's that I have that the pedestals are rather tall in order to clear the starting handle hole.

I have therefore decided that I will not try to fit a badge bar to the chassis as I have a original style PB badge bar in my spares box however, I find that the fixings do not line up with the holes in the rad brackets ie either side of the radiator.

Can anyone give me a dimention across the rad, Hole to Hole.

Either the badge bar has not been made accurately or the bar and links accross my radiator are not correct.

Look forward to your replies.

Russ

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  10:35:54  Show Profile
"Can anyone give me a dimention across the rad, Hole to Hole?"

Mine measure 468mm. 335mm across the cross-member plus 66.5mm (x2) from the clamping face to the hole centres for the wing/headlamp bracket.
Will email you some photos later.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2008 :  22:24:12  Show Profile

The 'across-radiator' badge-bar from PA0603 has threads with centres at

440mm, plus or minus for any inaccuracy. I cannot measure the car at

the moment.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  08:29:24  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I have measured my badge bar and it is 449mm hole to hole.

The bar is a repro made by one of the MG suppliers in stainless steel and is obviously not accurate, I may be able to alter it to fit, however at least I know that the fittings on the car are correct.

Thanks to the help of all forum responders.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2008 :  19:35:17  Show Profile
Russ,

There may be two explanations:

1 The radiator bracket with the large diameter hole which the badge bar bolt fits through may be fitted to the radiator tie bracket the wrong way round. The one with the hole in it can be fitted either side of the tie bracket. This alters the centre between the fixing holes.

2 If the badge bar is still too big between centres as it is stainless steel, you can correct this by the following method.
2.1 Protect the bar with wood, soft jaws etc and fit in a vice near the centre bend. Make his bend sharper to decrease centres or shallower to increase the width.

2.1 When nearly at the right distance then turn attention at the bends at either end.

The aim is to get the short parts parallel and alter the centre bend to get the distance.

Regardsà.. Terry

Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  08:58:38  Show Profile
Thanks Terry for your explanation and solutions.

I think that my initial concern over this matter was to find out what the approx measurement was from hole to hole for the P type.

Now that I know this I can complete the trial fitting of the rad and brackets etc. and alter the badge bar as you suggest at a later date if I decide to use it.

I guess that I should have known that a "pattern part" would not fit without some "adjusting",however since I had it in my spares box it seemed a good idea to think about fitting it and that decision opened a new can of worms.

Thanks once again to every one who responded.

Russ

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000