Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Congratulations to the MGCC - a new low for MMMs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2023 :  23:49:22  Show Profile
I am disappointed to see the MGCC has reached a new low in its blatant lack of interest in MMM models.

The new Silverstone 100 MG Triumph Facebook promotional advert runs to 90 seconds and if one is quick, they may just spot a K1 and two adjacent MMM models, taking up all of just half a second of air time, and that’s the token MMM gesture. It is apparent the promotional team here seem to have greater interest in the marmalade stall, which to me has some synergy with the Chinese generic cars also being featured but porridge may have been more apt!

Is there any wonder why so many MMM enthusiasts have left the MGCC and, why should any MMM enthusiast bother turning up to this event. I had thought about attending, but I already have marmalade in my cupboard.

Sorry to sound despondent but this is typically progressive of the club in its continued lack of inclusiveness for the older models. So sad #128542;

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 07/02/2023 00:03:08

Teifion

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  00:18:52  Show Profile
Utterly disgraceful Richard, couldn't agree more.

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

wiggy963

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  08:44:17  Show Profile
However, on the other hand excellent recent MMM articles in Safety Fast from Cathelijne Spoelstra
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  09:04:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wiggy963

However, on the other hand excellent recent MMM articles in Safety Fast from Cathelijne Spoelstra

indeed, and the front cover

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

https://www.triple-mregister.org/racing.asp

http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  09:17:20  Show Profile
Presumably you’ll not be renewing your membership of the MGCC, Rich?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  09:17:22  Show Profile
Also very true / commendable#128077;

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  09:37:06  Show Profile
And is the reason I have no intention of rejoining the MGCC! ( I was a member many years ago.)
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 07/02/2023 09:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  12:08:19  Show Profile
Guys

Ah Ha. More people who are happy that the MGCC MMM Register pays out MGCC owned funds on an annual basis for the software and other IT costs needed to fund this Forum and the website but are not prepared to make a contribution towards those costs by paying MGCC memberships.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  13:09:07  Show Profile
I think the word you’re looking for, Tim, is 'Freeloader’.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  13:11:58  Show Profile
Hear Hear

Sven

MGCC member
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  13:18:34  Show Profile
Well said, Tim.
This is a stuck record from those who choose to freeload and gripe.
Terry
MGCC member and happy to be so for nigh on 50 years.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  16:05:00  Show Profile
To be honest, this is a trend that we have seen in the Austin 7 world. The 750 Motor Club was the earliest Austin 7 Club and fostered the careers of people like Colin Chapman, Eric Broadley and many others. As the organising body of many sporting formulae, which has come out of that heritage, the Club has moved on and last year, dropped its Austin 7 connection completely. To the extent that it negotiated an agreement with the Pre War Austin 7 Club which gave a home to all those members with Austin 7s. New joining members have no connection to the origins of the Club and aren't bothered.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  16:40:32  Show Profile
Well, well, controversy strikes again but as a member for more than 50 years I think one should really look at the history of the club. As everyone knows the club was formed when the MMM cars were being manufactured and it went from strength to strength through the T Type and dare I say the MGA years. However when the MGB came into production it was for some reason felt by many owners that the club did not want to embrace these models. Then, along came Roche Bentley who formed the MG Owners Club which went from strength to strength and no doubt filtered off a lot of members and potential members from the long established MGCC.This was a real wake up call for the MGCC and it responded appropriately and continues to do so in order to win back members and even attract owners of the Chinese manufactured MG's as well.

However, many of the MMM and T Type brigade felt that their interests had taken a back seat and along came the Octagon Car Club speciically to cater for the "square riggers". A brilliant organisation particularly for spare parts and more general support.

As some one who has only missed one MGCC event at Silverstone in the last 50 years I have to say that from my perspective the rot really set in when they started to use the full Grand Prix circuit and the MMM and T Type races were no more. This started a continuing decline in the number of MMM and T Type cars attending MGCC Silverston. Most owners are aware that The Summer Gathering started by the late Peter Green and his family as well as Pre War Precott attract far more of our cars than The MGCC's so called "Flagship " event. Also , in an effort to ensure that MGCC Silverstone is commercailly viable and to make it more of a family entertainment event a whole lot of other, sometimes very noisy, sideshows have been introduced which are not really relevent to most MG enthusiasts.

It is a fact of life that as soon as a club ceases to be run almost entirely by volunteers and takes on full time staff and commercial premises it becomes a business as much as a club and that is what has happened. I accept that it could not be otherwise given the number of members and the events organised and aside from the paid staff I always want to pay tribute to the many Club member volunteers whithout whom the events would not be possible.

Finally, do MMM members get value for money from the MGCC. Everyone will have their own view but it is possible that the MMM register possibly linked up with the T Register, now that these models are VSCC eligible, could exist as a sub register of the VSCC .Membership of the VSCC is more expensive than the MGCC and I imagine that members of the MG sub group would need to finance it with a subscription of some sort as well. The main issue is that the VSCC's interests are more akin to MMM/T Type cars than the MGCC now and likely to be more so in the future.

Having, I suspect, lit the blue touch paper, comments, constructive and otherwise more that welcome and I should perhaps add that I am a member of the VSCC and all three MG clubs I have mentioned so no vested interests in any particular one.

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  16:57:08  Show Profile
Mike,

What could a sub-register of the VSCC do that the Triple-M Register can’t do now? One big difference, of course, would be that the freeloaders would have to start paying - no free access to the VSCC website without being a member.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 07/02/2023 16:58:19
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  17:40:57  Show Profile
Hi,
I am a happy free- loader of long standing, one who is passionate about old MG, I own 5. I have never thought MGCC had anything to offer me, having briefly been a member 40 years ago, but find this forum is a joy. Why not introduce a yearly fee of say £20 to recompense MGCC for the privilege of using this web site only.
Just a thought,
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2023 :  17:55:59  Show Profile
Hello, Forum.
I’m very sad to see that this subject, raised once again, has caused discord in the ranks. The fact is that things change over time.
I remember back in the early seventies, I think, when I wrote to Peter Hull, the president of the VSCC complaining that MMM cars generally were not acceptable in the club.(excluding M types, 18/80 and various racing models which were.)

Nowadays, all MMM models are not only acceptable but positively thriving within the VSCC. I genuinely wish things were different and that the MGCC were showing pride and respect for what were the first MG cars . Personally, sorry to say, I do not feel any affinity with the MGCC and as a member of the VSCC I feel a natural empathy amongst cars of the prewar period.
I was delighted when the MG T types were welcomed into the club and I completely concur with Mike Gooch’s comments.
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 07/02/2023 17:57:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000