Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Power consumption - electric.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  18:37:29  Show Profile
Please can anyone advise what current - amps (or power - watts) do the standard P Type ignition system and SU fuel pump consume?

A deafening hush!...................... Surely someone knows the electrical power/amps consumption for the ignition and the SU fuel pump?

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 26/11/2008 19:34:57

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  19:55:11  Show Profile
Hi Bruce,

My rule of thumb was always that switching on the ignition of my PB, that is your request situation of just SU pump and coil, should show a discharge of 2 amps or a bit less. Anything far removed from this current indicated trouble, so say 24W in round figures.

Of course in the running situation this load is intermittent, being incurred fairly infrequently in the case of the pump and constantly but in an interrupted time fraction, about 30% of the total running time for the ignition for a four cylinder car with a normal distributor or nearer 40% for a six.

If you want anything more exact then get in contact with Terry Andrews who has a spreadsheet based on modern Bosch practice to estimate electrical loads and the generating capacity needed to support them. Having looked at these calculations I would say that the Bosch figures are overestimates for the minimal equipment fitted to our cars, but they are a good starting point to give you a feel for these things.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000