Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Main Bearings oil grooves
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  17:14:06  Show Profile
I'm about to have a machinist line bore the main bearings on a P-Type block.

From Bob Jones' article on engine rebuilding he states the oil grooves in all the main bearings should be at least 1/'4 wide and 0.150" deep. Could anyone add any further information on this topic? For instance on the rear main what measurements are suggested for the second groove which is fed by the 1/8" oil hole?

Has anyone considered cutting oil grooves part way across the axis of the bearings to give a fuller flow of oil, as the machinist has suggested?

Any help and suggestions on this oil feed topic would be well appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian.

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  20:55:05  Show Profile
Hi Brian,

I cannot comment on the general dimensions of the oil grooves other than to say that I am sure that Bob Jones' advice is as expert as it comes.

However I do not think that I would follow the advice of your machinist and make grooves around the periphery of the bearings. This, I know, is modern advice to increase the volume of oil flowing through the bearings and thus help heat dissipation. This is advice suited to modern lubrication systems which are designed from the outset to be high volume flow, relatively low pressure systems.

Conversely our systems were designed on the high pressure, relatively low flow principle - as I can remember Mike Allison explaining to me late one night in an Abingdon noggin pub. You have only to compare an A-series centrifugal oil pump with our close fitting gear pump set up to see what I mean.

Therefore my doubt would be that our pumps could not maintain sufficient oil flow at the lower pressures introduced by more freely flowing bearing groove systems. Possibly disastrous, but the decision and the risk must be yours.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2008 :  03:41:36  Show Profile

Thanks for the sound and descriptive advise Andrew.
I'll heed your words.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000