Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The dreaded 'R' word - a possible alternative
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  18:10:37  Show Profile
While I wasn’t surprised that my well-meant suggestion got instantly shot down, I have to confess I was a bit surprised by the underlying unpleasantness of some of the replies. But hey, that’s keyboard warriors for you!

But I’d like to explain what prompted my original post as I wasn’t trying to stir things up. I mentioned that I had been reading an old article on Austin Seven ‘reproductions' by Denis Jenkinson and this was in the context of trying to identify in our local vintage car club magazine the various types of sports Austin Sevens that are very popular in club events, e.g. is that Ulster really an Ulster or a replica or a reproduction?

And coincidentally, this car arrived in Norn Iron last weekend.

And I wondered how should such a splendid motor car be referred to? To simply call it a 'special' would be to seriously undervalue the workmanship that went into making/building/ creating it, and yet it isn’t a 'replica'. It seemed to me that DSJ's choice of 'reproduction' was a good one for this car. Hence my post. (I see Barry was covering all his options with 'replica', 'special' and 'repro' in the description!)

However, I’d overlooked one thing (as had DSJ) that was correctly pointed out by Rich Hardy. (No, not his snide remarks about 'mmm enthusiasts' being confused - confused, no less! - by captions in the Yearbook.). As Rich correctly pointed out, reproductions, as in reproduction furniture, are made from new pieces which are assembled in the style of old furniture, and sold as such. Geoff Enoch's R Type 'reproduction' would perhaps fall into this category. But a K1 constructed 'in the style of' a K3 is built - primarily - from original components, especially the chassis, so wouldn’t qualify as a reproduction.

So at the end of it all, I’m still unsure how I should refer to this splendid motor when I do a write up of it in our our vintage club magazine. However, I’m not asking for suggestions!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 29/11/2023 18:12:22
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  21:23:33  Show Profile
I’d say you seriously underrate the workmanship going into some specials.

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  22:26:44  Show Profile
Simon, my remarks should not have ever been interpreted as ‘snide’.

At tge time, I was offering a well structured argument to suggest there was a far better and most logical way to describe many of these models where there appearance today does not represent how the car left the factory. My suggestion was, according to the committee, accepted as a good step forward and was to be implemented in future Yearbooks. It then never materialised.

It does not need someone like me to be editor of the Yearbook to implement such a simply alternative approach. I even offered my assistance at tge time as a non-club member.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2023 :  22:38:03  Show Profile
You’re undoubtedly right, Onno, but for all that, the image that the term 'special' conjures up wouldn’t do justice to what looks to be a magnificent machine. I’m very much looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Norn Iron being such a small place, it’s not surprising that I know the owner so I’m hoping to get taken for a drive in it in due course.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  08:28:10  Show Profile
We clearly don't agree on this point and since it has been flogged to death I'll only say one more thing in this thread:
I really do wonder if you picked the right example to defend non originality in this case
https://www.triple-mregister.com/cardetails_pub1.php?chassisno=K0390

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  08:32:34  Show Profile
I wasn’t defending non-originality, Onno, I was simply admiring what seems to be splendid workmanship. I have no intention of getting drawn into the debate about whether such cars are a good thing or a bad thing.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/11/2023 08:33:15
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  09:09:10  Show Profile
I will repeat my earlier comments on this subject!
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2536 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  09:16:20  Show Profile
It's a shame that the data base photos of what looks to be a very presentable Tourer carry no date.

It would appear to me that, rather than a bare chassis which is a blank canvas on which I find it quite acceptable to build what is clearly a beautiful car, this was, in the relatively recent past, a perfectly viable and desirable car. A great pity and a great loss IMHO.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  12:08:56  Show Profile
Simon, you say amongst other things:
quote:
I wondered how should such a splendid motor car be referred to?

...I was simply admiring what seems to be splendid workmanship.

...what looks to be a magnificent machine.

I think you must have found it quite difficult to avoid describing it as a special car?
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2023 :  13:06:16  Show Profile
This topic has once more been taken out of its hiding place and received a good airing. I think it is time to put it back.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000