Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Home page suggestion.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  19:24:46  Show Profile
The change to the 'Home' page showing different car snapshots each time is excellent but any chance, for those of us less well versed in Triple-M identities, to show which model it is when you hover the mouse arrow over the picture?

Bruce. (PB0564)

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:56:52  Show Profile
Bruce,

Sorry, it is not possible as things are set up at present.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  23:23:18  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply, Peter, but I read (after posting my query) in the latest bulletin report of the 7Dec08 committee meeting that you're looking into similar website enhancements?
Anyway, thanks for the recent website updates.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  09:17:34  Show Profile
I too have enjoyed the photos on the home page.

To try to identify the car, I found that by right clicking on the displayed photo, the properties window appears. This usually gives a clue by quoting the first few digits of the model type and chassis number. Then it is a case of looking at the photos of that model that are shown under Members Cars in the 'Pictures' menu. Click on the relevant photo to get an enlargement and the owner details.

This method does not always work, especially as my short term memory capability means I sometimes forget what the picture on the home page looked like!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  10:15:09  Show Profile

What is the equivalent of 'right clicking' for us artistic, but Microsoft-inexpert, Mac users?

Is not the problem that, however tweaked, the site and its operational capabilities will remain inferior in imaging to the systems now in use by equivalent groups?

Again for the inexpert, what are the constraints - technical or financial - preventing the excellent MMM Register having a site capable of taking,say, members' photos in order to facilitate technical queries?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  00:04:30  Show Profile
Bob (Stringfield)

Please could you give me the website addresses of the æequivalent groupsÆ that have æsuperiorÆ imaging systems to ours, I would like to look at them to see if we can learn anything from them. As I mentioned in a posting I made last March, the committee have discussed the possibility of allowing members to post pictures on this forum but we were advised that it was not advisable to let them do so, mainly for security reasons.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  10:57:07  Show Profile

Peter,
The VSCC is the one with which a number of MMM Forumistas may well be familiar. Members only, it has photos all over it and reflects the go-ahead nature of an admittedly large club.

No-one on their forum has ever, to my knowledge, mentioned security issues over pictures.

I relinquished my MGCC membership in favour of the VSCC because of the MGCC's then ineptness over MMM historical material compared to the superior VSCC Library facilities. Their events are plentiful and good.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  11:20:09  Show Profile
The excellent website, www.vintagemgparts.com has a 'your cars' page which gives details of the car and owner when you click on the pic.
I guess most of you know this as there are about 150 pics of our cars !
Graham
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  16:36:57  Show Profile
The vintage minor lot seem to have pics all over their website.
Members seem to be able to post them with their forum contribution - often there are pics of bits that they want info about etc.
www.vintageminor.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  19:46:31  Show Profile
Hello,

Yes we can post the picture's ourself using a website like "www.photobucket.com"
I think having picture's on the VMR forum greatly enhances it's appeal, It is also very easy to do .
Maybe some of you should take a look and join the VMR Forum

Regards
Halbe Tjepkema ( VG2007)
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  23:20:01  Show Profile
It seems that some of the VSCC contributors use external hosting sites like FlickR, Fotopic and Photobucket, similar to what Halbe is saying for the VMR. If you right click on a photo in the VSCC forum and look at properties, these website names appear. I guess each member who wants to add a picture to his contribution has to have an account. What I don't know is how to get the picture within what you are writing. You will gather from what I have written that I dont know how to do it, but agree that the ability to show photos would be a useful addition. I do recall Andrew Bradshaw adding a photo to one of his contributions, but it was in the form of a hyperlink to FlickR rather than appearing on the page - the next best thing but not so "friendly".
What I have written may be wrong but is there anybody out there who knows what to do?
John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  10:23:34  Show Profile
Like many of you I am a member of the VSCC and use thier forum. Whenever I have posted pictures I have used FlickR and found it very easy to use. I have also found it quite user friendly for viewing pictures. I have not investigated how to post pictures directly within a topic as it appears to be more complex. Sometimes the pictures are too large and mess up your viewing of the words.

Making the forum more comprehensive means more work for Nick and less time for him to work on his P. So Flickr or similar seems to me to be a good solution.

Current project is to replace the timber which supports the dash and reshape the scuttle to better fit the dash profile. http://www.flickr.com/photos/84211147@N00/3219283661/

Easy?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  12:13:13  Show Profile
Ian

I agree - Flickr is pretty useful. I have posted a load of my restoration and other pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33592225@N00/

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  12:52:41  Show Profile
Could there be a location that the members could post there links to there photo of there restorations projects. Some of us do not have the years of experience others have. We are sometimes struggling through a portion of the work. It would be great to be able to view photos as needed of other projects.
Just a thought

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  15:41:30  Show Profile
Bob (Stringfield)

As nobody has answered your question, ôWhat is the equivalent of 'right clicking' for us artistic, but Microsoft-inexpert, Mac users?ö I have today been in touch with the firm that looks after our website hosting and asked them, their reply was;-

A Mac mouse can be configured to have a right mouse button - see system preferences. Or, hold control when clicking the left button.

You will be pleased to hear that we are again investigating the possibility of incorporating pictures on the ÆForumsÆ, one thing is certain, members will not be able to upload pictures direct onto our website for security reasons, they will have to be linked via a picture sharing website (or something similar) as is the case with the VSCC and Vintage Minor Register forum pictures.

Peter.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  16:14:36  Show Profile
Bruce

Hover your mouse arrow over the Home Page picture now and see what happens - it is the best we can do at present.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000