Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Yet another brake question
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan F

USA
843 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  22:43:04  Show Profile
I appreciate all the 'brake' help I've received over the last couple of weeks. I am still having problems getting the new brake cables to fit with the cam in the proper position. My first questions is if all the brake cams and brake cam levers are the same. All 4 of my brake cam levers have 365/103-4 stamps into them. The service parts manual list 365/103 and 365/104 separately with N/S and O/S. The same for the cams. Are the cams and levers all the same ?? What does the N/S and O/S stand for. My new brake cables don't have a parts number stamped in them. Could I have gotten the wrong ones ?? How can I tell ??? Any other words of advice.
As always, thanks,
Dan

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  00:02:39  Show Profile
Dan,

A quick but not totally comprehensive reply - O/S and N/S stand for offside and nearside respectively, so for a right hand drive UK car the O/S is on the driver's side. The original brake levers are handed, and I guess (but have not checked) that the operating cams are too, as determined by the position of the slot for the Woodruff key - this is the bit that I haven't had a chance to check. No doubt someone else can comment.

John R
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  00:12:16  Show Profile
No two of the P-type cams are the same on my PB. It took me quite a while to figure out why the cables would fit properly. If I got the fronts to fit, the rears wouldn't and vice versa.

My advice, Dan, is to fit the cables according to the photos I sent you. Then trial fit each cam until everything is close to lining up. Then all that remains is to do the fine adjustment of the cables. As I told you, start with the adjusters at the wheel end and give yourself as much adjustment as possible. Then do the ends closest to the cross shaft taking up as much as necessary. What you want to end up with is as much adjustment opportunity at the wheel ends as possible without having to take out the under tray and floor boards just to do the fine adjustment later.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  00:48:37  Show Profile
Dan,

John is correct the brake leavers are handed in so far as two arms are cranked to the left and the other two arms are cranked to the right but I think they all started off as a straight castings which would account for all four of yours having the same casting numbers, when fitted correctly they are cranked towards the back plate. I can confirm that the cams are handed, the key ways are in two different positions.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Bob L

Sweden
50 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  22:43:40  Show Profile
One important point when you assemble mechanical brakes is that the cable must always pull the brake cam lever so that it rotates from one side of the brake cam towards the point where the angle between the cable and the brake cam lever is 90 degrees. This gives maximum torque to the brake cam.
My PA was incorrectly assembled resulting in poor brakes.
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  13:40:07  Show Profile
Dan

When I fitted new drums and linings to my PA I found that I had to remove about 3/16" off the outer cable of one of the front brakes to get the clevis pin in. A job which needs to be done very carefully to ensure that the diamond wheel in your mini-drill does not touch the inner cable. I know that Rodney had to make a similar adjustment when assembling his PA.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  14:52:55  Show Profile
Peter is right, I spent hours trying to get the cables on the front brakes to reach the cam leavers, one side was fine but the near side (pasanger side) just would not meet the top of the cam leaver, so I used a drimmel to take off a small section of outer cable, I am sure an old hand at the job would have not had this problem, however I was getting to the point of burning the lot. my patience is not that good these days!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000