Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Radiators
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tamara

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  14:43:05  Show Profile
Chaps/Chapesses,

My darling M type is in dire need of a new radiator, and probably a few other bits that have fallen off over the years; however. Whilst there are many fabricators keen for the business, is anyone out there able to recommend one of them? I am down in Kent but happy to travel there and back in daylight.

I have approached a few, prices vary widely from several hundred to almost four thousand pounds! Mind you, the latter did include a new surround.

In my naivety, I am reluctant to proceed and would greatly welcome any advice. My fiance (and finance, almost the same word!) has drawn the line at the last repair, his justification being both colourful and accurate.

Finally, (honestly) is there anyone in the Kent area that in exchange for witty conversation or ale perhaps, might be able to offer advice to a couple, new to the concept or returning an old lady to something approaching her former glory?

Tamara.

David Griffiths

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  19:52:22  Show Profile
Tamara
If you are after having a radiator rebuilt I can recommend
a chap called Brian at
Bryan and Sons
165A Camden Road
Tunbridge Wells
tel 01892 544635
he is a very friendly West Indian gentleman and did a super job on my P type radiator he is not cheap but you get what you pay for with radiator repairs
Best wishes

David
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  22:35:02  Show Profile
Hi,

I live in Sidcup and from your profile you must live around the corner from me. I have had M types so I may be able to link you in with my contacts. You will not need to travel in the dark to see me. I will contact you off line.

regards..... Terry
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  07:40:41  Show Profile
Tamara,

I am tearing into my M-Type at the moment as well. I am far from you (California)... but I also found my radiator to be in poor condition. I took mine to Gold Country Auto Restorations in Murphys California (they do Pebble Beach type Duesenbergs, Bentleys, and such, but were willing to take my small job). They were able to repair my radiator in the $350 US Dollar range. They had located a gentleman in New Zealand that could replicate a new honeycomb core for over $6,000 US (no surround). OUCH! That's most the value of the car! I just got my radiator back yesterday and installed it today - so far, my brief test run shows it working OK. Now I need to sort out why my gearbox wont shift once warm. Bottom line, my point is that you should repair your existing unit if you can - an original type replacement is as expensive as you have found.

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  09:04:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tapope

Tamara,

...... Now I need to sort out why my gearbox wont shift once warm. ...........

Tom Pope
1931 Midget

Tom

I would be interested to learn the cause of your gearbox problem as my PA box becomes more difficult to shift (3rd to 4th particularly) when it has warmed up.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  09:04:38  Show Profile
Tamara, I have the same problem with M2737. The original core is in fair condition but I am sick of the dampness around the base. A local radiator man has looked at it and what we are planning is to fit a modern core behind the original one. Because the M-type "honeycomb" is slightly pointed a repro similar core will be quite expensive. What I plan to do is cut off all but the front inch or so of the original core (so it looks "original" from the front but it will be for appearance only) and have the modern core mounted behind it. I have done that with a couple of my other old cars with excellent results. You will have to have a chat to a local radiator man (you should have no trouble finding a "victim" provided that they are the type of people willing to help you) who will order a new core, which will probably not be too cheap as it will have to be made up specially for you as nearly all (if not all) modern cores are "cross-flow". Best of luck.
Go to Top of Page

Rick

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  09:51:43  Show Profile
Tamara

Have you tried www.vintagewingsandradiators.co.uk for a quotation.
I have yet to try it in anger but they have recored my J2 rad with a honeycomb core at a reasonable cost.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:05:55  Show Profile
I had intended to slice off the front of my M-type honeycomb and mount the modern core behind it. This can be tricky with old cores as they are inclined to fall to pieces and then have to be restored so they look respectable. Since it is possible to buy dummy honeycomb I will use that. However, I understand that the dummy front is flat and I will have to make it slightly "pointed", has anyone tried bending it or will I have to cut it in halves?
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  11:35:32  Show Profile
Hello Barry

I had to bend the dummy honeycomb on my PA rad and it's fairly easy to do, as long as you support it rigidly above and below at the desired fold line with material such as sheets or battens of wood.

Beware - the stuff is devilishly sharp to handle!

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  13:38:28  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend a supplier for the "dumb honeycomb"? Thanks,

Gene

Gene
Go to Top of Page

Gene

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  13:40:15  Show Profile
Oops, make that "dummy honeycomb"

Gene

Gene
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  15:13:29  Show Profile
I have an old dummy "V" honeycomb. A few of the cells have parted but could probably be soldered or Araldited together. Only costs would be postage from Glasgow to where ever.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  08:52:21  Show Profile
Jan, Many thanks for your offer. I sliced the front 20mm or so from my 1912 Rover honeycomb and repaired the broken areas with light gauge brass tubing obtainable from model stores (which was absolutely identical). Then, of course, I mounted a modern core behind it which is only seen when the bonnet is opened. The prewar MG honeycomb is not really round so the hobby store tubing is not suitable for repair work (although it is true that I could have used "spare" bits of the original core to do the repairs), hence my decision to go with the dummy front. I am getting it from Sports and Vintage ("Salt and Vinegar" in MG parlance?) who have been extremely helpul and friendly to me over many years.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  08:54:30  Show Profile
Sorry, Dick, forgot to thank you for your response. Bending sounds the go and thats what I will do. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  10:43:47  Show Profile
The offer is still there to anyone who may want the honeycombe. In the mean time it will stay on the hook on the garage wall. Barry what did you use to cut the front of your old radiator off?

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  12:13:07  Show Profile
Hi Jan,
I have emailed you off list re honeycombe

Fred...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic