Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 75th Birthdays
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  04:50:14  Show Profile
Having celebrated the 75th birthdays of the exotica over the last few years, particularly last year, we are now coming towards the end of this round of significant anniversaries.

Today, Febraury 27th is the day our PA (0255) was completed and then delivered to Bill Haden on March 6th 1934. Its build was commenced on February 1st so it had taken just 4 weeks to travel down the assembly line along with 8 others issued on the same day. We know its trials history from the chassis file and other documentation.

Our other PA (0251) was started a day earlier on January 31st so was probably serving as the production line prototype. We don't have the delivery card in its chassis file but it was registered JB 2756. We've got a good photographic history of it between 1936 and 1938, but we have precious little for the period when owned by the MG Car Company. By April 16th (6 weeks) it had covered 4461 miles or an average of 743 per week which is pretty good usage. Maybe it was a demonstrator or road test car and there is one entry in the chassis file about preparing it for competition work on March 5th. On March 19th it was having accident repair work done with the insurance company involved.

Bill Haden had 255 back at the factory on March 10th for adjustments by which time it had 627 miles on it and by March 24th (now 3 weeks old) it was already up to 1527. Bill was an active trials driver so it just shows how many miles they racked up on weekends for, during the weekdays, he was a dentist.

By August '34 PA 0251 was in the ownership of Russell Chiesman and had covered 6538 miles in 5 months, still a good clip even by today's standards.

Masahide Adachi in Japan owns PA 0252, David Furnell (254), Michael Cain (256) and Dick Leeksma in Holland (257). Does anyone know these gentlemen? I'd enjoy communicating with them about these early days of the PA siblings. And if anyone has any information or avenues I might explore, about how PA0251 (JB2756) spent its first few months, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Peter Ross

Peter Ross
PA0251 & PA0255

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  18:30:01  Show Profile
Hi Peter

We have not finalised plans as yet but we do anticipate marking the 75th anniversary of the P's and N's with a display of cars at the MG Car Club Silverstone meeting 10th to 12th July.

Best regards

George Eagle
Hon Sec
Triple-M Register.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  19:30:10  Show Profile
As I'm sure many of you already know, the VSCC also celebrates its 75th birthday this year with some special events based on Malvern throughout the first week of August.

On the 8th there will be a parade entitled 75 years of Sports Cars, featuring cars of invited clubs. I wonder if the MG Car Club or Triple M register have been invited?

It would be terrific to have a good display of 75 year old MGs plus some of the same competing in the other events!

I have a P-type rebuild in hand but I am not confident that it will be ready in time.

See www.vscc.co.uk for more details. There is dedicated tab (accessible to non-members).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000