Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J 3758 Reg. No. JJ 2126
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daveroberts

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  23:48:03  Show Profile
Good evening members,

last week I acquired what I believed to be a tatty, engineless J2, that has been resting in a Reading lockup for 40 odd years. First registered 30 Jan 1933 in Greater London, and supplied originally in a mid blue.

It suffered from engine failure and was fitted with the inevitable E93A lump. This was removed in the 60's by the last owners brother in law,and j 3758 was then abandoned to the woodworm and spiders of the Reading suburbs. Prior to this the car was fitted with hydraulic brakes from a Morris 8, I think.

On further investigation , it would appear that the car is a J3, one of 22 made!
There was no number stamped on the FOS dumb-iron but was found on the bonnet hinge with the suffix B for the blue colour.

As the car is such a rarity, I would like to return the car to the full J3 spec, with the 750cc
supercharged engine and cable brakes. Is there anyone out there prepared to give up an original J2 or J3 block and the rest of the engine bits, except the crank, rods and pistons that will be made new. the body is rough but repairable with 6 new ash components and all of the plywood. The car is in Newbury and is available to view if anyone is interested.

Any information about this car's ownership and any competition history would be appreciated to say the least.

Dave Roberts. 07831 334356 daveroberts.redlodge@sky.com

Edited by - daveroberts on 29/12/2009 00:14:09

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  08:57:38  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

Records show J3758 was delivered on 12-Jan-33, possibly to University Motors Ltd. The first owner was J.G.C.Ruston who competed in the Inter-varsity Speed Trials on 25-Feb-33 coming 3rd in the 850cc super sports and 8th in the unlimited sports section. Ruston then competed at the 4-Mar-34 Inter-varsity Speed Trials and there has been no positive news of the car since.

The best person to contact is Mike Hawke, I will email his details to you.

Cheers,

Tim

Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  10:20:56  Show Profile
Mike Hawke's records have the registration number recorded as JJ 2162.

Is it JJ 2126 or JJ 2162?
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  11:27:07  Show Profile
Hi Dave

What a find!

I note the chassis number is not shown on the OSF dumb iron, it could possibly be on the NSF? Some cars were stamped this way - for example the cars exported to Australia. Also does it have the original guarantee plate?

The car is not listed in the 2009 printed Register, J3757 and J3760 are the nearest numbers, which lists 16 J3s.

Our Registrar Bob Clare will no doubt have further information and hopefully the original chassis file will be held by the MGCC. If it is you can contact John Innes who will send you copies of the file on payment of a small fee.

Best regards

George
Go to Top of Page

daveroberts

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  11:51:22  Show Profile
Hi John,
the registration no is JJ 2126. I have the original number plate and it is in the continuation logbook.

Regards............Dave

quote:
Originally posted by John James

Mike Hawke's records have the registration number recorded as JJ 2162.

Is it JJ 2126 or JJ 2162?

Go to Top of Page

daveroberts

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  11:56:42  Show Profile
Thank you, Tim,
I have had an email from Mike Hawkes son, who acts for his father in internet matters.

Regards...........Dave

quote:
Originally posted by tjackson

Hi Dave,

Records show J3758 was delivered on 12-Jan-33, possibly to University Motors Ltd. The first owner was J.G.C.Ruston who competed in the Inter-varsity Speed Trials on 25-Feb-33 coming 3rd in the 850cc super sports and 8th in the unlimited sports section. Ruston then competed at the 4-Mar-34 Inter-varsity Speed Trials and there has been no positive news of the car since.

The best person to contact is Mike Hawke, I will email his details to you.

Cheers,

Tim

Melbourne, Australia

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  17:37:31  Show Profile
Some years ago I did a large amount of research on all the J3's and also took over Nev Churchers early work. Apart from the well known differences there are a number of detail ways to identify a J3 from a J2. I will contact you off line.
Regards
Terry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000