Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Which R Type is this?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  21:19:49  Show Profile
I knew this J2 when David Gale had it in the late 1950s, David and I were both Rolls-Royce apprentices. One thing about it which sticks in my mind is Frank Stark's beautifully engineered method of stabillising the front axle under braking, I seem to remember that it had Wolseley 12" hydraulics. If the car can be traced now I would love to have photographs of this so that I can copy it on my PA.
I subsequently worked for the RR Oil Engine Division at Shrewsbury and got to know Frank briefly when he did some consultancy work for us around 1970. A very clever engineer both theoretically and practically and a nice bloke.
Regarding the McEvoy/Rolls-Royce connection. I have always assumed this to be the case as there were always a lot of "forieners" done in the factory. There were stories of a production line for petrol cigarette lighters during the war when such things were not available.

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 04/03/2010 21:21:54
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  17:43:15  Show Profile
Maurice I don't think that there is any doubt about the McEvoy/ Rolls connections as I well recall being told about many items on R 0257 & 8 being made at Rolls together with a number of motor cycle parts for McEvoy and others. Refering to your "petrol lighter story" reminds of the often quoted story when the Rolls Chairman addressed a Production Meeting stating " We have had a marvellous month, producing over 300 Merlin Engines, 25,000 cigarette lighters and many parts for a flat four motorcycle engine and other assorted special bits"
Gerhard - Many thanks for bringing the Boddy notes from The Sports Car to my attention. How surprising that there doesn't seem to be any pictures or evidence of these cars fitted with this inter-cooler arrangement apart from 0259. Was Boddy correct ? I did write to him regarding his book "Story of Brooklands" pointing out a picture incorrectly captioned regarding an R type that he was gracious to admit was so.
Bob
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  17:47:53  Show Profile
Colin - Sorry I meant to mention in my last post many thanks for the detail regarding Keith Elliott I will try and contact George Cooper who may be able to throw some more light on Keith's RA 0258 experiences
Bob
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  15:59:40  Show Profile
Thanks Ron and Maurice for your interesting comments re Jerry Skeavington, Frank Stark and David Gale. I dont think Frank is still with us and I remember reading an obituary of a David Gale in Safety Fast many years (20+) ago. Was it the same one I wonder?

Somewhere I have some very old photos of the J2 that they all owned. Perhaps one day I'll find them and post them on the web but I'm not sure if they show those axle control arms Maurice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000