Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PA - P 647 - NORWESTER TRIALS TEAM CAR
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

norwester

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  22:27:34  Show Profile
This car -BGN 444- was recently purchased in a partially dismantled and incomplete condition, having been stored for more than 40 years.

The car is currently undergoing complete restoration. Investigations reveal that this is one of the three NORWESTER team of trials cars who campaigned their cars between 1935 and 1939. The team consisted of MG PB (NORWESTER 1) BLG 333, Jack Terras; MG PA BGN 444 (Norwester 11), Ken Scales; and MG PA BTU 260 (NORWESTER 111), Jack Twyford. The owners of the cars lived around Manchester and campaigned moderately successfully in major MG trials around the country.

The history of BGN 444 is unknown between the war and mid - 1960's. Should anyone be able to cast some light on its whereabouts and activities during that period, I shall be most grateful if they could
kindly let me know.

Thanks in anticipation.
Norwester

David Whitham

Edited by - norwester on 15/03/2010 19:18:26

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  07:19:15  Show Profile
David. May I correct you on the ownership of the three trials cars you have listed. BTU 260 ( a PB not a PA ) was owned by Jack Terras & BLG 333 by Jack Twyford. A slip of the 'pen' on your part, I suspect. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

norwester

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  17:43:09  Show Profile
Ray,
Thanks for putting me straight. I find also that I incorrectly recorded the registration number of Jack Twyford's car which should read BLG 363.

The Norwesters initially were an all MG (P type) trials team which competed alongside Cream Crackers and others. It seems surprising that there appears to be so little recorded in MG lore about their activities and successes. The Highlanders by contrast appear to have received more publicity. I note however that C A N May's book 'Wheelspin' makes reference to Norwester team individual member successes and also records their winning the Inter-Centre Team Award of the MG Car Club Midland Centre Trial in both 1937 and 1938.

May also records that in 1939 "Toulmin's 1938 Cream Cracker passed into the hands of Ken Scales, well-known and very successful north-country driver". I believe that this car was TA BBL 78, presumably Scales having sold PA BGN 444.

Further information now indicates that by 1947 BGN 444 was owned by a Mr L.T.Young who lived in the Chester area.

Any further pre or post war information on the Norwesters and BGN 444's history/owners from MMM trials historians will be much appreciated.

Norwester.

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  10:09:10  Show Profile
David,

This is good news to hear about your Norwester team car. I have printed this topic and mailed it to Bryan Ditchman as he is not on the internet. You might try contacting Colin Butchers (email via the forum, details can be found by searching) as he is also a useful fund of information.

John R
Go to Top of Page

norwester

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  19:56:30  Show Profile
John,
Many thanks for your suggestion, which I will follow up accordingly.

David Whitham
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  17:49:16  Show Profile
Thanks for the plug, John. Hello David. I have been following this thread with great interest but unfortunately, I don't really have anything to add at the present time. However, for those of you who have a copy, there is quite a lot about the Norwesters team in Roger Thomas' book "MG Trials Cars" on page 67. The reference is also illustrated with three splendid pictures of the Ken Scales car BGN 444 to illustate how competition cars were developed by their owners. The first picture on page 67 shows the car virtually as Abingdon intended it to be. The second, taken a year later, shows it to be a bit "tweaked" and the third, on page 68, shows it to be (if I may use the expression) decidely butchered !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

norwester

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  14:36:57  Show Profile
Colin,
Many thanks for your reply to my posting.
I have looked at the book to which you have referred and this undoubtedly shows the metamorphosis of the car during 1935/38.
It certainly gives some useful hints for the restoration, since I intend to retain some of its trials features in its 'mid-period' format, but without canvas bonnet and floppy wings!
Should anything further come to light about BGN 444 or information regarding the NORWESTER trials team, I shall be most pleased if I can be advised.
Thanks again for your input.

David Whitham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000