Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Gear lever plating
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  11:50:01  Show Profile
Although I asked for my gear lever to be plated just down to the ball, it came back plated all over. The platers have offered to strip it & re-do but before I go ahead, can I please ask for other people's thoughts?

I didn't want the ball plated as I reckoned chrome, being hard, would wear the alloy casting more rapidly, also the sphere must now be marginally bigger(probably not enough to matter?). If they strip it my feeling is the resulting surface will not be as smooth as it was; more possibility of rapid wear.

I have a nasty feeling the lever may now effectively be scrap & may decide to buy one of Barry Walker's, but would rather use the original.

Dave

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2010 :  12:27:51  Show Profile
Dave,
Whilst the spherical seating (in the aluminium) for the gear lever may well have been circular when it was first manufactured, rest assured , that after 70 odd years of use, there will now be some out of roundness in the seating. The plater has probably done you a good turn. As you say, it will now be oversize, but as long as the copper and nickel layers ( if you are lucky ) are not too thick, the plating may well have taken up the "wear". A thin shim between the two halves may well be a good option as would lapping the "new" ball into its seating if it is perfection you are after. I would be most supprised if the lever is now scrap.

Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000