Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Which J4 is this?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  21:07:58  Show Profile
Following the immense correspondence about the R Type I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this photo?

It was amongst the papers of a friend who died recently. I think it is his father, Fred Hill, and presumably was taken in the 30's. He was an engineer on the railways in India but returned to this country for education and sundry railway oriented courses from time to time. There were relatives in the Farnborough area where this might have been taken. His son, my friend, knew nothing of this car or I am sure he would have mentioned it.

The only distinguishing feature I can spot is the "rake" of the bonnet louvres which seem less steep than those in other J4 photos.

Cheers

P

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  22:13:03  Show Profile
Hi Peter

Are you able to email me a copy of the file please? I can upload it to the historical section of this website where it may be viewed at a larger size than here.

Regards

Robin

robin.hamblett@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Wiessmann

Germany
87 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  08:55:41  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

The attached picture was obviously taken at the same occasion.
The car is J4006 (KY 4963).
Leonard F. Brown gave me this photo in the eighties.
He had owned the J4 from 1938 to 1940 when he lived in Bridgend, Glam.
Could you please email me a copy of your photo?

Best regards
Karl

k.wiessmann@t-online.de

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  19:24:58  Show Profile
Karl

What a coincidence! I have just heard that the family think the driver is Tom Hill, born in Bombay around 1908. My friend's brother was mad about fast cars so it ran in the family!

Photo attached and maybe you could send me yours? I will send it on. And do you know the "when and where" of your picture?

The family do have Tom's taped memoirs which he recorded in the 80's so maybe we will hear some more.

cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  22:44:57  Show Profile
Peter

This might be a worthy topic for inclusion in Safety Fast!

Perhaps you would consider contacting me off line to see whether there's any mileage in this suggestion?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  22:53:10  Show Profile
Hi,
From an email to Wakefield Archives for information on KY 4963 the following details came back from the appropiate vehicle index registration card held at ref. C192/2/2/1
Make: MG
2 seats
Model: J4006 Midget
Chassis: 4006
Engine: E93A6015C
Capacity: 8HP
First Reg: 27/7/1933
Licence Expired: 31/08/1964.

The last place of registration is given as an address in Tunbridge Wells, Kent; the card being dated the 8th Jan 1971. It is also mentioned on the card that following the receipt of this card by the Bradford licensing authority, all records relating to this vehicle would be destroyed. As we have no records for KY4963 in our collection vehicle files at C192/2/3/8 it would appear that this is indeed the case.
Hope this is helpful.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2010 :  23:24:05  Show Profile
For those that do not know the quoted engine number is for a side valve Ford (Ford Prefect). I wonder what happened to the original J4 engine which presumably was in the car when the pictures were taken?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  20:34:35  Show Profile

I thought it fitting to offer this photo of J 4006 from
Knudson's "MG Competition Cars and Drivers".

He offers no details except for the chassis number.

It took me a while to figure out where I had seen it. It depicts stone guards on the headlights. No tax disc holder shown in this photo. No exhaust pipe visible either.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000