Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Which J3?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  10:34:33  Show Profile
In the flavour of recent posts, the following picture was published in the May ?37 edition of Motor Sport as part of an article about getting started in motor sport. There is no specific caption for the photo other than a reference to sand racing at Southport. One distinguishing feature of the car in question is that it looks to have a cut away drivers door.

Can anyone identify which J3 is in the photo? Was the cut away drivers door a factory option or an owner?s subsequent modification? Has anyone seen a cut away drivers door on other MMM?s? I know of two cars with doors modified in this way, namely J3763 and J3771 ? both J3?s.

All comments and correspondence gratefully received,

Tim

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  17:50:58  Show Profile
Tim the door looks perectly normal to me ! The top of the door is obscured by the drivers wrist and arm but the front top section and the hinge position all look standard. What makes you think it is cut away ?
It could of course be a blown J2 with a J3 style cowl on the front or is it called a J3 in the text ?

TH
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  21:06:50  Show Profile
Tim,

P types had cut away doors very similar to the one in the picture. J types did not normally have cut away doors, the top was straight

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  21:53:37  Show Profile
Having enlarged the pic I have to agree with Tim. I think it is cutaway. To answer your question on other Triple Ms having cutaway doors Tim, the ex Bira F2 that the Bones had for many years had the doors cut in a rather more severe way than this appears.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4471195958_8495321469.jpg

I also have a pic of the car of Tim Edwards mentioned in the caption, which says the door was cut early in its life.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  21:56:07  Show Profile
It's worked for me before. Any ideas as to why not this time?!?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  02:53:26  Show Profile
Terry - unfortunately there is no further information given in the text, I have only taken it to be a J3 because of the blower cover but of course anything is possible!

Dave - was the Tim Edwards car an F-type?

The photo below (a J3 also) gives a better view of the cut away drivers door, both J3s mentioned in my post above were modified this way in period.

Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  09:12:43  Show Profile
Dave, you need to put [+img] in front of the URL and [+/img] behind the URL to answer your question, I did this with your URL and it seems to work ok eg. [+img]URL[+/img] If you click on the 'insert image' icon [4th button from the RHS] when you're composing your post it does it automatically

Please ignore the '+' shown in both sets of brackets, if I remove them it starts thinking I'm trying to post a pic and gives me a little square with a red X in it, hope you understand?

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 29/03/2010 09:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  16:11:50  Show Profile
Hi Tim, yes it is & I could send you the pic direct if you're interested. I also have a more recent colour pic of the Bira car.

Many thanks Peter. As far as I remember I did click on the "mountains" & then put my cursor between the resulting thingies etc. At least you've got Bira there in all his glory. As some may have guessed from the caption, the photo came from the old original & much missed "MG Enthusiast"

ATB,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  16:44:44  Show Profile
Dave
Your MG Enthusiast might have gone missing - but mine still pops through the postbox every month.
Every now and again it still has MMM related articles
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  19:26:48  Show Profile
Yes indeed Tony; I've just bought the April issue with articles on Phil B-P's Faux Cabriolet & a P Type. What I meant was that IMHO the old Martyn Wise one was a vastly superior magazine!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  21:33:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

....the old Martyn Wise one was a vastly superior magazine!

Hear hear, Martyn put out a superb magazine!

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 29/03/2010 21:35:17
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  09:27:01  Show Profile
Hi there,

we seem to have got off-beam a little concentrating on bodywork and so forth. The original question was "which J3", well I think it is likely to be the one which is in Bob Dickie's hand now... it eventually became a single seater. Chassis Number J 3755. This car had a fairly considerable sprint racing history, eventually ending up post-war in the Portsmouth area. I seem to remember Bob's father bought the car in the late fifties, and seeing it at his garage somewhere in the London area.

Hope this solves the "mystery".

All the best,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  12:34:07  Show Profile

"The photo below (a J3 also) gives a better view of the cut away drivers door, both J3s mentioned in my post above were modified this way in period."

The photo was taken on 9th June 1934 at Shelsley Walsh, which is about as "in period" as you can get - that's an interesting radiator mascot too.
JH
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  12:57:03  Show Profile
Here is a photo of Mike Waggot's K2, in which you can just see that the door is quite severely cut away.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  22:53:37  Show Profile
Mike – many thanks, I had missed J3755’s sand racing exploits. The photo must have been taken around the time of the Motor Sport publication in 1937 when owned by G.Hiley (or Highley), obviously before the single seater body was fitted in 1938

Jeremy – you may have noticed Car 14 in the background of the Shelsley photo is K3007

On the topic of doors, interesting then that of the twenty J3’s to carry a factory two-seater body, at least three had a cut away drivers door in period. Having just removed the trim from J3771, I cannot see how the door and the matching side curtain (both original and unrestored) could have been modified after leaving the factory. Perhaps a cut away door was a factory option, or was it just the sporting look and the mod to do with your new car back then?!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  23:30:07  Show Profile
Tim,
That's how I could be such an "anorak" with the date. 007 only did Shelsley once. I have a close-up which must have been taken within minutes of the posted photo as both Ron & the lady next to the car, wearing what looks like a round white pass of some sort are, standing in exactly the same pose.
007 was running No 14 (still also with No 1 from the MB race, No 15 looks like it could be another K3, so what class was the J3 (No 13) running in?

JH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000