Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New R-Type Chassis
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  13:02:39  Show Profile
Hi All,

I note on Octagon Services website that a new "R-Type" chassis and fuel tank has been produced. Can anyone provide anymore information about this project?

Regards,

Chris

Geoff Enoch

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  09:47:03  Show Profile
Chris
The R type has always facinated me and was as you will appreciate a huge advance in automotive design for 1935. I could never afford one but in recent years began to wonder if my engineering talent was up to making one. Having collected drawings and any information I could for many years I started work around four years ago (you can see the chassis on my web site)Currently the chassis, tank, most of the bodywork, floor, seat, dash, radiator, gearbox, bell housing, steering box, and diff are assembled and I am currently working on the susspension. Machining parts from solid billits of steel is a time consuming process as is making the wooden moulds for bits you want cast, however I am making every endevour to make this eleventh Rtype as acurate as possible in the hope that people (especialy those who have one of the originals) will accept it for what it is, one mans efforts to emulate the skills and visions that were present at Abingdon in 1935.(we also don't have a complete working car in the UK any more!)
Will be interested in your comments.
Geoff Enoch
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  11:54:21  Show Profile
Since you asked ;)

I can only praise and support the principle of building a replica of verry rare and wonderfull race car.
Since i have not had the pleasure of seeing one go over a track i would love to see one race!
if it is an original or a replica is less of the question as long as it sounds looks and go's like an R-type.

However great care has to be taken to make sure that it is not and never will be mistaken for the real thing!
And gets presented as what it is an R-type replica.
Other wise you get the sorts of trouble surrounding an N mentioned in an other thread.

So as long as it is not trying to be something it is not (an original R-type) , it is an effort i only can praise and hope to see the results on track soon!

Onno
Go to Top of Page

Geoff Enoch

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  07:43:13  Show Profile
Onon
Appreciate comments and agree completly. To that end all the components on my car are being stamped with a new chassis number so that another day should the car get broken up even the component parts cannot be mistaken for originals.
Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  15:43:14  Show Profile
That is a verry good move.
Making it so that there can never be anny discussion
Anny pictures or a build diary?
I am getting curious :)
Onno
Go to Top of Page