Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Monte Carlo Rally
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  09:30:01  Show Profile
Hi All,

Another querie: Anybody out here who has a copy of the Graham Robson book 'Monte Carlo Rally, The Golden Age'? If so, I'm looking for the route (countries) that was used on the 1932 rally. That's all, no scanning involved! Many thanks!

Also, anyone know how I can get in touch with this same Graham Robson?

Thanks,
Cathelijne

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  10:54:03  Show Profile
Hello Cat,

In 1932 there were seven different starting points, John O'Groats, Glasgow, London, Umea (Sweden), Stavanger, Athens and Palermo. Two MGs started from JOG, one from Glasgow, one from London, two from Umea, one from Stavanger, three from Athens and none from Palermo.

I can provide the names of the MG starters but not the models involved. I have no details of all seven routes, but Donald Cowbourne lists a multi page description mile by mile of one of the British starters from Umea. I think that there are three pages detailing the route from UK to Umea before they even start the rally itself ! If it helps I can send you photcopies of this detailed description when I send you the Great Auclum Programmes (any day now!)
Best wishes,
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  13:12:46  Show Profile
Hi Colin,

Knew I could count on you ! Yes please, copies much appreciated!

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  14:36:00  Show Profile
Cathelijne,
have sent you a e-mail, telling what S.C.H.Davis wrote in his book
"Rallies and Trials" about the Monte 1932.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  19:20:47  Show Profile
Hi Gerhard,

Fascinating, thanks so much!

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  15:53:39  Show Profile
Hi Cathelijne

Dad is currently working on something which catalogues the NA's history for my sister - this of course includes the 1935 Monte, for which the car was modified by the factory and entered for H F Symonds.
They started from Umea and the story of this and other trips undertaken by Symonds are all told in a little book given to me (now passed to Jane) as part of the cars associated "clobber".

Symonds in fact "lost" the rally from a commanding position and should really have won the event - but whatever the reason he crashed and did not win.
However he reported that the cars steering bax had broken - which according to Fred Kindell who drove the car back home and Reg "Jacko" Jackson who went to France with the parts required only to meet Kindell at about halfway between Abingdon and Monaco - the steering box was NOT damaged.

For all this Symonds did eventually win the Monte Carlo Rally I think in 1938.

MG never did although could probably lay claim to the victories by the Mini seeing as the cars were all built at Abingdon at least.

All I can say having travelled many miles in the NA over the years - that they must have been Mad! The car is not best behaved in cold weather and as for driving on ice with all that power - no brakes and terrible tyres - it makes me shudder.
In 1935 they averaged something like 32 mph to get to Monaco without penalties and that is really travelling on snow and ice!

I have always though liked the idea of re-creating the journey - Sweden has some wonderful scenery in the north and central parts (admittedly the southern part is a bit flat) and the lakes are stunning.
I know Linkoping quite well (visited many times on business) and this area is lovely.
The roads are fairly empty in most of Europe too which is a plus when travelling long distances - and I am sure that there many more fuel stations available now than in 1935 which is just as well given the cars thirst.
I know that there is a plan for Tim and Jane to re-create the journey - in the summer time though!

I am sure if you ask Jane - she will let you borrow the Symonds book too.

Regards David

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  22:50:45  Show Profile
Hi Cath,
Why bother with 1932?
The M types were in 1931!
Sir Francis Samuelson in the coupe RX 7429, and Francis Mortimer Montgomery in a second hand open car(chassis 2M 0563, engine MG 337B colour Red, first registered 1 September 1929) registration number VC 1931.
F. M. Montgomery then went on to navigate/drive with Donald M. Healey and T. G. Moore in an Invicta in 1933. (T. G. Moore was the publisher of Motor Sport.
What was the book called of H.F.Symonds wrote, please?

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  13:05:23  Show Profile
The book is called

The Monte Carlo Rally
H.F Symonds

Published I think in 1938.

As an aside I think in 1930 Sir Francis Samuelson and his wife were accompanied by Reg Jackson in an 1880. The story as told to Dad was hilarious.
1931 the M type saloon and the standard car entered by Montgomery were certainly not the only MG cars entered.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  15:12:50  Show Profile
Hi Gents,

Thanks for that! Will ask Jane for the book, sounds good! And Mike, got it all wrong, my friend ! It all REALLY started on May 8 and 9 of 1931 !

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000